Mt. Nibel/Rocket Town

Chapter 5: Mt. Nibel/Rocket Town

Disclaimer: Usual disclaimer applies, I'm not repeating it. As always, thanks to Robert for beta-reading this story. Notice that the rating has gone up due to Cid's ... er ... rather colorful vocabulary.

.o.0.o.

"What did you learn?" Cloud asked Tifa the next morning.

"Well, it seems as though all the people here are actors, or moved here after the town was rebuilt. ShinRa rebuilt the town after it was burned, they didn't want the bad PR that a destroyed town would bring. So they rebuilt and covered it all up, all the deaths, Sephiroth, everything."

"All right then, I guess there's nothing else we can do. Did you find anything else?"

"No, there were a lot of books, but we didn't read any of them, they were all in some strange science jargon, we couldn't understand a thing."

"Thanks Tif, ok everyone, stock up on herbs. We're heading to Mt. Nibel once everyone is ready. There are some powerful monsters lurking near the reactor, be prepared for anything." Cloud said as he began walking towards the items shop, Aerith at his side as always.

"Do you really think the monsters are as powerful as he says?" Tifa asked Barret as they followed a few feet behind.

"Not sure, but I guess we're gonna find out." Barret said as they entered the shop.

Several minutes later, the small group was driving their way to the base of Mt. Nibel, the beginning of their adventure those 5 years ago.

"Once we reach the mountain, we'll have to leave the buggy here. You can only proceed on foot from here," Cloud said as they quickly approached the mountain.

"What will we find?" Yuffie asked from her place near the rear of the buggy.

"Anything imaginable," Cloud replied, a thoughtful look on his face. "We may find Sephiroth, Jenova, or anything else. This is the reactor where Jenova was originally kept, the same place where humans were being tested upon with Mako."

"Wha ... what were they trying to do?" Yuffie asked, clutching her shruiken closer.

"Develop a super soldier, one that would be able to defeat all of ShinRa's enemies," Cloud replied as he clenched his fist by his side, knowing that he himself was a product of those experiments. "Not many of the beings used here survived, as humans anyway. Be on your guard, we may find some new forms of monsters here. Just remember, if they were human once, they aren't anymore."

After that there was no more talking until they reached the base.

"Tifa, park the buggy over there," Cloud directed her to a cave near the path leading to the reactor.

"We can find the buggy here, just in case we need it again," Tifa nodded as she backed the buggy into the cave, far enough not to be seen from outside.

Slowly they gathered their supplies and equipment, reluctant to leave the tiny buggy.

Cloud stepped from the cave, his face still hidden by the shadow of the entrance as he stared at the path that would lead them to the reactor, and Sephiroth.

"Let's go," he said once everyone was ready. Taking Aerith's hand he led the way.

.o.0.o.

It was a long climb to the top, the trail being poorly marked after years of non-use. finally reaching the top, they came to the bridge that had collapsed years ago. Just like the town it too was rebuilt, just as it was. This being the only route to the reactor, it only made sense for ShinRa to fix it.