Capture the Flag

• Dedicated to Zach Perkins

HAZEL:                                                         Tuesday, June 4 - 9:00 AM

“So, Hazel, do you have any plans for tonight?” my dad asks me.

“No, just the usual. Paige, Jenny and I are hanging out a Jenny’s place. We were gonna invite Andrew over to play capture the flag with us girls and Adam.” It was just a normal summer breakfast at the Williams house today. I was super excited for capture the flag. Yesterday, we all put our ideas for today on paper and Adam picked one out of the hat. Mine was picked!

“Wait a second. Who is this Andrew? Is he one of you girls’ boyfriends?” Mom asks. He will be soon, is what I was thinking in my head. What came out was a lot different, though. 

“No, of course not. He’s a kid that just moved here from Chicago, Illinois. He’s 17 and gonna go to our high school this fall. He’s really nice, actually.” I was about to say cute instead of nice, but I decided to take the safe route. 

“Oh, okay. So he’s supposedly a Christian. That makes me feel a little better.” Mom says. After breakfast clean-up, I run upstairs to my tablet and text Jenny and Paige:

HeyItsHazel: Do you think we should invite Kanunu to play capture the flag with us?

I get dressed and do my hair while waiting for a response. I throw on some gym shorts (the cute kind) and my superman tee. My hair goes up in a high pony with a black sport headband. Contacts in. So, Kanunu is a guy that lives a couple houses down from Paige. He’s 15 but he always plays with us cuz he’s tall and strong (his name actually means “strong one” in Hawaiian). It’s pretty fair to him because sometimes he’ll cream the 17 and 18 year olds. 

PaigeM_33: That would be awwwwesome! Then the teams would be even! Can’t wait! xD

MusicLuvr5: Great!

HeyItsHazel: <({})>< gotta swim!

MusicLuvr5: C U L8R! ; D

PaigeM_33: Peace!

I run to Adam’s room and bang on his door really fast.

“What now? Did you come to ask me to go easy on you ahead of time?” 

“Uhh, no. I came to ask you if you could go and ask Kanunu to come and play capture the flag with us. And to tell you you’re going dooooown.” 

“Oh really?”

“Yeah really!” 

“We’ll see about that,” he says.

“We will.” And that’s where the conversation ended. I started to walk away but after ten seconds I turned around and asked him,

“So are you gonna talk to Kanunu?”

“Yeah, I will.” he says. Phew.

“Thanks. The teams are gonna be me, Andrew, and Kanunu against you, Paige, and Jenny, okay?” I tell him.

“The inseparable has been separated! Wow!”

“It’s fair, sooo...” Actually there could have been a more fair way, but this way was the most fair considering I wanted to be on a team with Andrew and Paige wanted to be on a team with Adam. I feel bad for Jenny. She’s so lonely. 

“Alright, well, I suggest practicing for the next hour or so.” 

“Okay, smarty pants,” I tell him. At ten ‘o clock all six of us are split into the teams I prepared and ready for action. We decided Jenny’s backyard was too small, so we ended up on the big, flat grassy area near the water. Dad was here to be a supervisor and referee.