The Beach, Fire, and a Sleepover

• Dedicated to Peyton and Jenna Boston

PAIGE:                                     Sunday,  June 2 - 6:00 AM

I quietly slide out of bed and into jean shorts and a t-shirt. I throw my Harry Potter book, notebook, pen, flip-flops, and iPad into a bag. When I get downstairs, I see bagels. I put one in my bag, along with an apple. I go out the door as quietly as possible, hoping not to wake up Levi or Faith (my 11 year old sister). I turn on my iPad when I’m on the front porch. 

“Yes! Three bars!” I whisper to myself. 

PaigeM_33: u guys awake?

MusicLuvr5: have been for 1 hour

PaigeM_33: cool. meet me at the beach in 10 mins with food and whatever else u need.

MusicLuvr5: ill be there...  I can see through Hazel’s window that she’s sleeping. 

MusicLuvr5: she just got up!

PaigeM_33: lets go. she’ll know where to find us

MusicLuvr5: kk. be out in a sec

I quickly - but quietly - run back inside and get my swimsuit. I open the door to Jenny looking at me when I come back out. 

“Let’s go!” I whisper. When we’re at the beach we encounter Hazel sitting on the sand building a castle.

“I thought you were sleeping!” says Jenny. 

“I told you my brother (Adam, an 18 year old weirdo) and I switched bedrooms last week. You can see him, not me...” says Hazel.

“Ohhh” Jenny and I say together.

“I’ve been here since 5:30. I forgot my tablet at home. You guys have your swimsuits?”

“Yep.” says Jenny.

“Yeah.” I say. “I almost forgot mine, though.”

“Go change, you lunatic.” Jenny says angrily. 

“You’re soooo weird when it comes to choice of words...” I say. She really is. One time she called Hazel a nutshell. She said she was at a loss for names in a really intense moment. I come out of the beach bathroom with my black and white striped two-piece. Hazel slips off her adorable sundress and has on a one piece blue halter-top swimsuit. Jenny takes off her flouncy, loose green top and jean shorts and has on a hot pink two piece.

“Race ya to the water!” Hazel yells. I barely make it to the water because I fall halfway there! 

“Get back up you lunatic!” you-know-who shouts. We all finally make it into the water. I could stay at the beach all day. All of a sudden, we hear screams coming from the house next-door to mine.

“What’s going on over there?” Jenny asks.

“Let’s go see!” Hazel says with a scared tone of voice. At this point, it was about 8:15 and we had been out of the water for a while with our clothes on. We all start running towards the house. I see my parents and Hazel’s parents run outside. A GIANT cloud of smoke comes from the peoples’ chimney. Hazel’s dad runs back inside and comes out with a fire extinguisher and his super cool work mask on. And shoes, of course. 

“I’ll go see what’s going on. Everyone stay where they are.” he says boldly. We see him run into the house and hear the fire extinguisher running. The mom of the house (who is single with four kids, by the way) comes running out with her two youngest. I was dying to run into the house and get the other two kids but my mom told me to help with the two already safe ones while someone else gets the ones in the house. Hazel, Jenny and I all run over to the kids. One is a boy, Jackson and he’s 4. The other is Annie, a girl and she’s two. Annie is screaming like a baby girl. Oh, wait, she is one. I try to calm her down while Hazel and Jenny put Jackson in a sort of two person straight jacket. He is so restless. He’s not that loud, though. Just restless.