four

Warmth was too undistinguished a word for what she felt that morning. It didn't come even close to describing the pure content in her body, the stillness of her stomach to which would usually erupt in angry bouts of anxiety, and a mind clear of any apprehension for the following day. No, for Annie slept in the arms of a curly-haired boy, their legs intertwined as they breathed quietly, soft puffs of sleep leaving them. She hadn't slept so peacefully in weeks, if not months, so used to navigating her everyday life in exhaustion. It was a saddening fact to know she had become accustomed to the lack of total energy, for it was better than shamefully continuing on her days knowing people had heard her scream all night. She couldn't handle the pity; the thought alone was enough to make her combust.

So there she laid, head on Mattheo's chest, hands also placed beside her whilst his head rested on his pillow, arms tightly wrapped around her. Mattheo had awoken mere moments ago, his eyes opening and closing quickly, blinking away the sleep before they flickered downwards to the small girl in his arms. He could hardly believe the position they were in, her bare legs wrapped over his own whilst her parted lips released air softly and quietly. Beautiful didn't come close to describing how she looked, and he could have sworn the air had been sucked out of his lungs at the mere sight of her. He had woken up early like he usually did to revise before he headed down to breakfast, but with her in his arms, he had no intention of leaving such a prime moment in his life. He knew he wouldn't get this chance so soon again, and he wanted to cherish it whilst he could.

He stirred slightly, positioning her closer to him, to which she groaned. He mentally cursed himself as he watched her move within his arms, her leg retracting slightly, rolling onto her back beside him, her eyes opening slowly. Her hand reached up to rub her eye as she sat up, the covers falling to her waist. Mattheo's sleepy eyes looked over at her, pulling her hand from her vision so that she would look at him, to which she did, the two making eye contact as he pressed a gentle kiss to her palm, holding her hand in a manner that made her suck in a breath harshly.

Upon waking up, Annie's mind hadn't registered where she was, nor why she had slept so incredibly well. She had sat up, sleepily, utterly unaware of her surroundings, so profoundly enamoured by the loss of an anxiety-riddled body that she only noticed the subject of her dreams beside her once he had demanded her attention. Her mouth suddenly felt parched upon looking at his sleepy face, a slight grin present judging from the upwards motion of his lips. His hair was as messy as ever, with curls overlapping one another and dark eyes tired yet content - as though he too had slept exceptionally well.

Mattheo grabbed her by her waist, bringing her closer, making her gasp at his large hands on her, whilst she was so aware. He took hold of her arm after, yanking her down gently so that she fell on top of him again, her hands falling to his chest whilst her head fell against his shoulder, his hand gripping her bare thigh to bring it over his legs. "You were so comfortable before; why move?" He cheekily retorted, the sleep in his voice deepening it heavily.

"It seems you're the one comfortable with me all over you, Riddle, not the other way around." She batted back, forgetting the fight against him as she allowed herself to sink into him.

"That, I can't deny."

She couldn't help the butterflies in her stomach as large arms wrapped around her body tightly as a means to hold her to his own whilst he positioned himself underneath her so that she too was as comfortable as possible.

"What time is it?" She asked.

"It's still early. Breakfast is in an hour or so." He reassured, brushing her hair away from her face as he stared at her. There was something very intimate about looking upon one another so early in the morning. Being so wholly vulnerable, every flaw on show and yet being so content that it hardly mattered - the intimacy honestly did not go unnoticed by either of them.