Chapter Eleven

The lights hit her face and temporarily blinded her. For a moment Wren couldn't breathe. The host of the show stood five feet away with a large smile plastered on his face when he saw the girl. His hair was bluer up close than on the television. He held his hand out and Wren took it. She sent a smile to the crowd which seemed to go on forever. Caesar twirled her and the crowd gasped at her dress. Wren had accidentally hit the button on her bracelet mid-spin.

"Now that, ladies and gentlemen, is some dress!" Caesar gushed. Wren's cheeks blazed. "Wren you look absolutely fabulous. Can you explain to the audience what is on your dress?" Her mouth went dry. A few of the brightly colored people held up glasses to see clearer. "Stars," she squeaked out.

"Just stunning," Caesar complimented.

"Thank you, Caesar," she sat down in the white chair. It was softer than she had imagined. Her ankles crossed as she glanced at the crowd.

"Back home, my little brother and I would watch the stars. It's incredible." She grinned. The crowd clapped as she continued, "I find peace with the stars. They're with you no matter where you are. They help you find your way back home." Her hazel eyes scanned the crowd. The people sat in silence eating up her every word. The blue-haired man looked at the crowd.

"Isn't that just the sweetest thing?" he asked turning back to the girl.

"Wren, I think we all want to know how did you score a ten on your individual session? It's rare for someone of District Ten to score so highly. Can you tell us?" He asked wanting to know the girl's secrets. Wren put a stray hair behind her ear.

"Well, Caesar, you'll have to wait until the arena," she winked, "I've got plenty of tricks up my sleeve." She paused for a moment before saying, "There's more to me than what meets the eye."

"Did you hear that ladies and gentlemen? It seems Ms. Eldrid here has a secret. Well, my dear, we can't wait to see what you do in the arena." He shifted in the chair and the familiar somber music began playing.

"At the Reaping," Caesar began. Wren knew exactly what he was going to bring up. "The camera cut to your family- that was your family right?" Wren nodded, "Yes, my mom, dad, and little brother." Her heart hurt as she spoke about her father as if he wasn't dead.

"Did they visit you before you left?" Wren bit her lip. Flashes of blood on the wall and the gunshot hit her hard.

"They did Caesar. They told me to win. My little brother told me I should win so I could go back home to him. I have to play with him and the chickens when I get home," she briefly joked. There was not a dry eye in the audience. She had even heard someone let out a sob.

"Wren we can only hope that you can see your brother again." She took a shaky breath before facing the people.

"As much as I miss him I will miss you all dearly. The Capital has become like a second home to me. Not only am I going to win for my family, but I win for you all. You guys are now my family." Wren lied straight through her teeth. She didn't give two shits about the Capital citizens. When the crowd burst into applause she knew she had sealed the deal; she was getting the sponsors she deserved.

Hundreds of people stood as she did. Many cheered and clapped while some others were crying. Wren's eyes met Ariana Galde's. The woman in red shot her a wink and a smirk which signaled that she had done a good job.

Caesar slid his hand into hers and raised her arm high.

"Ladies and gentlemen I give you Wren Eldrid. The Capital's very own Supernova! With stars in our eyes, I send her off. Thank you," Wren walked to the other side of the stage with a large smile on her face. She had won over the Capital. Her team had met her once she was further from the stage. Serena had on a green dress that actually wasn't horrible.