xvii - admiration

ADMIRATION
-
"all of the time"

• • •

AS SOON AS the meeting was over, minho ran over to leo to ask where lyn had disappeared to. he said she'd mentioned going over to the deadheads with chuck, and had instructed him to tell minho to come and find her when he was done if she wasn't already back with the others.

he found her sat with chuck on a log, but didn't approach her right away. instead he stood leaning against a tree several metres away from her, the stray leaves and branches concealing him sufficiently (at least, that's what he convinced himself).

he thought she was beautiful. stunning. ethereal. like a diamond in a world of rock.

she was perfection, with not a flaw on her being. he felt that she had completely bewitched him, body and soul.

"minho! is the meeting over?" clearly his make-do hiding spot hadn't quite proved adequate since the girl came playfully bounding up to him. her eyes — to the average person they'd just look regular, nothing special about them — but to minho, they held a whole world within them. the world of lyn, which he was aching to discover. she had so many secrets, most of which she didn't even know herself, and part of his attraction to her was to do with this mystery.

"yeah, it finished a minute ago," he fibbed. the last thing he wanted was for her to figure out he'd been watching her interaction with chuck for the past ten minutes.

the little boy followed her over and asked, "what happened?"

minho sighed as he began to recount the events that had occurred. "nothing much. lyn, you're sharing a room with the new girl and that's all they've decided for now, until she's awake at least. and then there was a long conversation of why she's even here, and why you got that note sent up with you when it wasn't even true."

the pair, who were listening eagerly, nodded as he finished. the sun continued its beating down on them, even with it being nearly dusk. the evening meal was being served late due to the incredibly busy day the gladers had all endured.

but on time or not, the trio weren't keen on missing any of frypan's signature stew. "race you both there!" lyn called, already beginning to hasten away.

~

"so, you two," thomas began almost immediately after they sat at the table. lyn blushed as minho simply smirked.

newt looked at the brown-haired boy and continued, "we know there's something going on. you don't have to pretend."

chuck made eye contact with lyn for a brief second before he began laughing hysterically, only to be greeted with a sharp jab in his upper arm from lyn.

to her surprise, minho spoke up before she even had the chance to open her mouth. "you know, i wish the slintheads who put us in here had changed your brains so you wouldn't blab so much about every little thing. it would be so much quieter, don't you agree, lyn?"

she simply nodded, pursing her lips together to contain a laugh. then he nudged her under the table and gave her a look, asking whether he could tell them or not. she glared at him, warning him not to say a word about their situation; they hadn't even had a proper, private conversation about it themselves, so it seemed ridiculous to complicate it all.