xiv - remedy

REMEDY
-
"wishing on dandelions all of the time"

• • •

"MINHO! minho, where are you?" she slowed her pace from a run to a jog, then from a jog to a walk, and then from a walk to a sitting position on the floor, her back rested on the wall and face buried in her still sticky palms. she lost everything and she didn't even know if minho was alive or not. and she might have just killed thomas with her stupidity; maybe the griever wouldn't have even noticed her if she had stayed put. and then there was the matter of alby: if he was still safe dangling from the ivy or if the beasts had got to him yet.

everything she could think of doing to help just seemed so hopeless, so futile, she felt like crying again. except she had run out of tears when she was hiding from the vicious monsters. it was all down to the creators, and it made her blood boil like a broth on a stove. she was angry. so angry, she began punching the wall beside her until her knuckle began to drip with deep, crimson blood — which didn't take very long due to how solid the stone was.

lyn wasn't sure how long she sat there for but she realised she must've somehow drifted off, since when she woke up it was already close to light again and both thomas and minho were stood looking down at her curled up figure on the floor.

"shebean?" it was the one voice she wanted to hear — needed to hear — and it made her smile with relief. she'd made it. they'd all made it through the horrifying, nerve-racking night, however unbelievable it seemed. she didn't expect to see the light of day again, yet there she was. at first the girl didn't believe her eyes, and had to pinch her shoulder just to check she wasn't deep in a dream.

thomas only smiled as she sat up, her scabbed-over hands pushing her weak upper body into a vertical position. "how did you do it?" she asked. she still didn't believe it was possible, because, like everyone always told her, no one ever survives a night in the maze.

"it was all thomas. it was incredible, really."

"no, it was minho who came up with it."

"you gave me the idea-"

"can you just get to the point?" lyn snapped, though not in a malicious manner. she was too exhausted to listen to any bickering.

"right, sorry. so when you came out of the ivy, which i'm still angry you did, by the way, thomas called for the griever to run towards him. well not really run, but... you know what i mean. then he was surrounded by them. four or five, was it? i can't remember. but anyway, one went straight for him and the smart shank dove out of its way just before it got to him. so then i realised the grievers were easy to deal with like that. they're vicious, sure — but they're dumb as dirt. i dragged thomas to the cliff, then we stood there and moved at the last second, so they went right over the edge. the last one was a bit harder, but luckily we've both got good kicks."

"but what did we do different, minho?" thomas asked, a perplexed look on his face.

"i don't know. it's kind of hard to ask a dead guy what he did wrong." in all the darkness of what was happening, that remark made lyn laugh a little — just a little. "c'mon, we need to get alby and go back to the others. doors will open soon."

the way back to alby was silent. not awkward, just silent. all three of them were only relieved they'd live to see another day.