Chapter Six

After completely falling apart, I finally took a deep breath and asked for my parents and grandparents. They came in and kissed me and assured me that everything would be okay. The whole time Bastian sat in the chair next to me. He never left my side.

Doctor Bob came in and explained the damage done to my back and what we needed to do for rehabilitation. Luckily, I wasn’t paralyzed, but it was going to be a long, tough recovery.

Once the doctors and my family left my room, Bastian relaxed. He sat back in the fluffy recliner and stared over at me. I couldn’t move in the bed, I was in traction so all I could do was move my eyes.

“I can’t see you Bast, you are not in my line of sight.” I whined. Bastian laughed.

“Quit being a drama queen, I’m right here.” He teased.

“Leave it to you to be a hard ass!” I smiled. I heard him stand up.

He stood at the side of my bed and looked down at me. This is the first time I’d ever seen this look on his face. He looked scared.

“Lola…I was so crazy when I found out you were in the accident.” He grew quiet and grabbed my hand and squeezed it. I suddenly became very aware of how ugly I probably looked right now. Great thoughts huh? Here is Bastian pouring out his heart and soul and here I am worried about how I look. I’m a weirdo!

“I thought we had lost you…” he looked down and I’m pretty sure I saw him wipe a tear from his eye. I could feel my eyes watering up.

“Bast…” I said in a cracked voice. He squeezed my hand again. “Bastian, it’s okay, I’m here and we’ll get through this…” I encouraged. He smiled down at me.

“Leave it to you, to give me encouragement.” He touched my cheek. “You’ve always been my rock. Well now, I’m going to be yours.” He said warmly.

I was filled with so many emotions. I was happy, sad, angry that it had to take a major incident to make him see what he could have lost. I needed to put the bad feelings aside and focus on being happy that he was here for me now. My eyes began to tear up. I wish I could hug him.

“Thank you Bastian, I’m so glad you are here.” I whispered.  Just then Oliver walked in.  I could see Bastian’s look harden.

“What the hell are you doing here?” Bastian growled.

“Lola’s mom called me…” he explained.

Bastian sized him up.

“Well you can turn your ass around and leave!” he ordered. Oliver looked over Bastian’s shoulder and looked at me.

“I’m so sorry Lola…” he tried to move past Bastian.

“I’m serious asshole!” Bastian growled again.

“Bastian…” I said as loudly as possibly. He looked over at me. “It’s okay, let me talk to Oliver.” All I could do was plead with my eyes. We shared a long stare and Bast finally nodded.

“Fine!” he glared at Oliver. “I’ll be right outside.” He pushed past Oliver and shoved him in the shoulder. Oliver’s face tightened up, but he continued to look at me.

I couldn’t do much but look up so I tried to have as angry of a look as I could. Oliver stood next to my bed. He tried to hold my hand.

“Don’t” I hissed. He let go. “Why are you here Oliver?” I asked sourly.

“Lola….I love you.”

“No you don’t!” I cried. “You’re a liar! I don’t trust you.”