04 | cupcake girl

ASHTON

As soon as I saw that girl in my class, I knew I was done for.

Honestly, what a cruel temptation the universe thrust on me. Evil son of a bitch that one, the universe. It never plays in my favor. Why would it start now? But temptation doesn't have to exist at all if you cut off the source before it spirals out of control, and giving Cupcake Girl a reason to want to stay away from me was a sure-fire way to do just that.

Was I caught off guard by those ridiculously big green eyes? Yes. Those full lips most guys can only dream about tasting in their lifetime? Hell yes. But I had to be blunt enough to drive her away.

What I said was true enough, anyway. I'm aiming to get through this school with the best results to get the best job. No distractions, particularly in the form of beautiful foul-mouthed girls I'd usually hit on in an electrified heartbeat.

Here's how I see it; attempting to do damage control over me witnessing that explosive temper means it's something she doesn't want to expose to anyone else. A bitter fault to her otherwise sweet appearance. So if she wants to keep that up, her sweet self will bottle up those fiery feelings and stomp away to complain about the jerk in the privacy of her mind. She won't challenge said jerk.

"Hi, me again."

Or maybe not.

Summer hops onto the arm of the couch I'm sitting on. I scoot over, focused on scrolling through my phone. Nick better come out of that room soon. I should have bailed instead of waiting for him.

"Since you said your little piece, I also just wanted to clear something up real quick. If that's okay." Her voice is nothing but chipper sunshine and rainbows.

"Free country." I glance at her crossed legs, her plaid skirt riding up to show off toned thighs I instantly picture wrapped around me. Don't even go there, man.

"I want to apologize."

I look up at her now, my tongue pushing the lollipop into my cheek to respond. "Apologize?"

"That's right, I'm sorry." She leans down a little, her smile wilting. "I'm sorry I gave you the impression that I'm the kind of person who'd run away with her tail between her legs when she's insulted. Or that she'd even put up with being insulted by a random asshole who seems to be an asshole just for kicks. I was only trying to be nice. That doesn't mean I wanna buddy up with you, okay? You're not here to make friends." She takes advantage of my slack jaw, plucking the lollipop from my mouth. "And I'm not here to be bulldozed over by douchebags who think they're hot shit."

Her deadpan expression changes in a second, reverting back to that beauty queen smile before taking a lick of the lollipop and putting it in her mouth. She slides off the couch and strides away without another word.

Holy shit.

❖❖❖

So she's got a bit of an edge, big whoop. It quickly becomes apparent how sickeningly enthusiastic this girl is. Constantly asking questions in the safety class, scribbling down notes like she's being paid to record every word Chef Kent says. Sure, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little turned on after she stole my lollipop, but the intrigue ends there.

Since she said she's from Philadelphia, I can guarantee she was in those suburbs earlier because she's renting a room in the fancy house she was outside of. The college sent a list of families who're open to students since there's no on-campus housing, and the fact that she was in that particular neighborhood just proves she's another prissy rich chick.