Chapter 6: Finally Inside part 1

"During that night is the first time I seen this... stuff that I have on. And hell, it looks strange but not bad." Grif said as I impatiently listened. That didn't mean I wanted to die from this story, but there was something I didn't understand. 

"Well, I have a small wee bit question. Did you do that all-in-one day? It took me three days or something like that." I said while feeling kind of defeated.

 Grif responded exactly how I thought they would, with a snide remark, "That's because I'm better, loser." 

"I don't think I like the attitude and I had the upper-hand just now." I declared, hoping for the hard truth to not be exposed. Maybe if that fight went on for a bit longer or if I even really tried, I would've won by...maybe larger than a slight margin. 

Grif didn't let it go though and decided to strike again with a quick comment, "The hell? How did you figure that? If anyone was getting the upper hand, that would be me. You had to resort to those demonic fucks just to hurt me." They were technically right, but that didn't make it any less my victory during that fight, I was just smarter. Grif was right about one thing, any longer and I think I would've be dead by now. My muscles ached and I couldn't seem to control my breathing, panting while barely managing to force my words out. Remembering the shadowy things, I looked over to see them still few in numbers, but back to their wide smiled ways. I guess they just forgot that they wanted to kill Grif. Or maybe its just lady luck smiling down on us today, how else would you explain it except that we're in a game. Well, I guess that's more possible now that I know this isn't just some weird dream that I've been having, unless both of us are having shared dreams. Who knows, I've never seen where Grif lived, so it might just very well be in this run-down home. No, that doesn't explain the grave with Jose's name on it...unless....no. I mean, it's always possible that Jose is just an old ex or something and Grif wanted to forget about him. So, Grif buried the memories of this relationship in their mind and poof, that's how a grave appeared to represent that something is buried under the ground. 

"What the hell are you thinking about?-" Grif said as my eyes must've wandered to Grif and the grave, making it obvious that I was confused. "It wasn't here when I first got here... something must've changed in Jose's mind." 

"In Jose's mind?" I said, "We're in Jose's mind? But how? Not anyone can just jump into the head of another person." 

All that Grif could say was, "I dunno. All I know is that we're here. Stop thinking about the details and make yourself useful, loser." Before I could even ask anything else, Grif began walking over to the grave and started to dig like a rabid dog looking for a bone. Well, a grave does have bones in it and as far as I know, foxes are close enough to dogs so maybe its just that weird animal urge. Wait, if Grif, uh, absorbed the fox monster and kind of became a part of it with all those flashy moves, then where is my ultimate power? I won't take the splinters for granted but if I became that freaky monster from before, then where's my pincers or enhanced vision, maybe even a Spidey sense or something. I don't really understand this whole thing, but Grif got the lottery when it comes to our abilities.

After walking over to Grif and looking at the poorly dug hole in front of the gravestone, something occurred to me. The first half of the numbers was probably when Jose was born, and the second half was to show a passage of time. So... what changed from when he was born and now. Well, I don't know Jose enough to say, since the only thing I knew was that he was an idiot who picked on the people with his gang. If Grif is right and this is in the mind of Jose, then it's at least something personal. The shadows smiling down on us, the run-down house with bottles being thrown everywhere... he must've felt alone and belittled, so was it a cry for help? '022120111012', those strange numbers, a code of some kind. It couldn't have been binary but was there another thing like it that used twos. While wildly guessing, a leathery black whip or rope of some kind crashed into the house right above our heads before quickly retracting all the way back to its source. The shadowy monsters were now attacking us...no... they were targeting me, another bunch of black ropes flew toward where I stood. The splinters almost instantaneously grouped together and stopped the attack but it still wasn't enough as my feet skidded on the ground. Grif immediately sprung out and began the counterattack as I helplessly watched. The best thing I could do was run, darting away as the first shadowy creature pulled back. The other ones were the same too, staring at me with their large frowns across their faces.