Chapter 3: Small Doubts

The next day was Saturday, and it was still between me and my mom that I could possibly be going to school in England. We were waiting for the scholarship letter and Mr. Williamson said he would have it mailed.

“Good morning, Lucy,” my mom said.

“Mom? What’s going on?” I asked.

“The mail’s here,” she continued. “And your scholarship letter might be in there!”

            At that, I leaped out of bed sprinting downstairs to the kitchen hoping to see the letter. I saw an envelope from Kitherwood Academy on top of the pile. My mom followed me straight down.

            “So what do you say, let’s open it,” she encouraged. I opened it and it read:

            Ms. Lucy Woods,

            Congratulations! We are pleased to inform you that you have been awarded the five year international student scholarship!

            It said more like school supplies and what not, but that was the gist, and I was just so happy. It was my perfect day!

            “Mom! I’m in!” I exclaimed. “I got in!”

            We celebrated like maniacs. It was the best thing ever, I swear. After that was over, I had some M&M pancakes for breakfast. I was going over in five days. On December 10, 2012 I would be arriving at Kitherwood Academy. Wow.

            “Who should we tell first?” Mom asked.

            “I think I should tell my friends,” I said. It suddenly struck me that I would be leaving my friends and family. I realized how much I’d miss them and that if I go, the next time I’d see them would be Christmas.

            Oh my god, Lucy: reality check. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Are you really gonna throw that away? No. I’m going to Kitherwood Academy.