Chapter 13: Memories Resurfaced

Alex

        I read the note in front of me for the fourth time. So Preston really had left. I shook my head. I knew I needed to find him. I had to void walk. I also knew that the desert village was south. I wandered outside. The sun was high in the sky, and it was about noon. I walked over to a tall building, and stood in the shadow it was casting.

        “Here we go..” I muttered, closing my eyes. I sank slowly, deep in the ground. When I opened my eyes, I almost felt nauseous. It was like one of my eyes was above the ground while the other was down here. All I saw was black, and when I took a step forward, it was like moving ten steps above. Preston said to move fast, so I did. I ran fast down south. Eventually, I ended up in the village. You could imagine my surprise as I saw a body falling down. I ran to get it, and as it came closer, I saw Steve. I gasped, just barely catching him. The room above me was dark, so I decided to emerge. The room was really just a long walkway. A sickness settled in my stomach and I had to use all of my willpower not to drop Steve. I placed him down, in time to hear a thud. Looking to my left, I saw Jen collapse. I shouted, running to her side. My vision became blurred, and

        I had to drag the two of them into the room on the side. I jumped when I saw a skeleton. It’s eyes were fixated on me.

        “Are you Alex?” It asked. I jumped back in surprise. The skeleton just talked to me! I nodded slowly.
        “OOH YES! Hi!” The skeleton exclaimed jumping up.

        “I’ve been waiting for you! I’m here to jog your memory. Here.” The skeleton handed me a piece of paper. It said “Ben’s Base” and had a list of materials. I looked at the thing, confused.

        “You still don’t remember? Ugh, here.” The skeleton offered me it’s hand. I reluctantly took it, and I was blinded by a bright light

Flashback

        “Are you sure you want to build your base here, Ben? This place is quite old.” Alex said as he walked across the walkway. A young boy enters behind him, holding scrolls and books. He has blonde hair, a plain shirt, and big round glasses. He laughed excitedly, the items in his hands shaking.

        “Yeah! This looks perfect for a  base for redstone!” He claimed happily. Alex nodded.

        “I’m going to go finish wiring the door. Stay safe, okay?” Ben nodded his head. Ben and Alex went in separate directions. Ben walked all the way across the bridge, and into a small cave. He began shaping the room, to make it a bit more homey. He would be living here after all. He placed down his table, and spread his plans over it. He was reading over them one last time when a spider fell onto his back.

        “AGH!” He cried out in surprise. Alex ran in, and looked at Ben’s motionless body. He charged forward, defeating the spider. Ben was still breathing, but had passed out from shock. Alex sighed in relief, glad that the young boy was ok. The two of them were both still young, Ben being ten and Alex being thirteen, but the two tried to work together as best as possible to survive. Alex just wanted Ben to be safe.

                                                                                A FEW YEARS LATER.

          Ben, now at the intelligent age of fourteen, walked across the creaky old walkway.

        “I really need to fix that.” He reminded himself. He walked into his special room, and Nicolette ran in behind him. She was ecstatic, holding a bloody cloth and her ceremonial knife. She skipped across the bridge. Ben looked at her, aware of how happy she was.