Chapter 10: The city

???'s P.O.V

        I hadn’t been traveling with my small group for long before they attacked. The three of us were just fine before they came…

        “What are we eating for dinner?” Ashley asked quietly

        “Stew again. If only we had better weapons, we could get better food from the dungeons!” I said. The other one in the group, James, joined us for dinner. I passed him a bowl and he made a face.        "Stew again!?” he whined. I nodded. “Until we can find a village, we can’t get the resources we need to go mining. We need coal to cook pork chops.” Said Ashley. We ate in silence, enjoying our meal. Except for James who kept whining. We had just finished and were cleaning up when a wolf came out from the bushes.

        “Awww! It’s so cute!” Ashley cooed. James slowly walked towards it, petting it’s nose. The dog barked loudly suddenly, scaring the three of us. A volley of arrows flew from the trees. James was the only one who was hit, and he fell to his knees with a cry. Large zombies with swords rushed towards our camp, slashing at the small tents. Ashley screamed from my right.

        “ASHLEY!” I shouted. Giving James one last sorrowful look, I darted towards Ashley. I used my wooden sword to slash at the zombies around her, and they slowly backed away. Grabbing Ashley, I ran. I ran for a long, long time. James was long gone by now. He had died, and Ashley almost had. I picked up my pace, despite Ashley’s cries

        “JAMES! JAMES, NO! TURN US AROUND PRESTON!” Ashley screamed. Preston… She hadn’t called me by my first name for a long time. Eventually, her loud shouts became sobs. The sun rose, and I put Ashley down. Looking in the distance, I saw a large building towering in the sky. Taking Ashley’s hand, we walked towards it. We stayed in the building for a long time, as it had good amounts of food. Ashley was more bitter than before, and she didn’t talk to me often. After about a month, the weather got colder. Our food was starting to run low, and I decided to go look for some before winter arrived. When I got back to the tower about two hours later, Ashley was nowhere to be seen. The only trace she left was a message scrawled in blood. It read: “Leaving you. James. I’m sorry.”

        Tears stung my eyes as I fell to my knees. I knew it. I knew we wouldn’t make it. I smashed the glass of the tower window. Looking down, I decided that it would do. I wanted to see my friends again. I leapt out the window, closing my eyes. I fell for a while, the wind whipping around me. I suddenly relised what I had just done. My eyes fluttered open, a little too late. I fell and hit the ground hard, the impact knocking me into a deep sleep.

        Thinking back on that memory brought tears to my eyes again. I neared the large city that had apparently been near the tower forever. It had only been a few weeks before that this all happened. Walking into the city, I searched the buildings. Most of the food was only stale, so it wasn’t THAT old. As I kept walking, I eventually came upon a small restaurant. Looking into the window, I saw some small tables and chairs, a bar, and lots of chests. I also saw someone lying face-down on the floor in the center of the room. WHAT!?  I bolted into the restaurant, getting on my knees to flip the person over…

                                                                                                Alex

        I woke up with a start when I heard a scream. Jolting upright, I slammed my head against something hard.

        “Ow! What?” I cried. When my vision cleared, I saw that I was in a small room. It looked a bit like a restaurant, with tables and chairs. Looking in front of me, I saw a guy who was probably the same age as me. He had jet black hair that was long and shaggy. He had a small nose, and his eyes were large, probably  because he had large, thick glasses. He was frowning and rubbing his head.

        “Who..” He whispered, his eyes wide. Standing slowly, I offered him my arm. Pulling him to his feet, I asked him some questions.

        “So, who are you?” I started, examining some chests in the back of the room.

        “My name’s Preston. And you are?” He asked calmly

        “Alex.” I replied with a shrug. Taking a bite out of an apple, I looked back at him. His hands were on his hips as he stared out the window.

        “Why are you here?” He asked quietly. I thought for a moment before answering:

        “I.. was with another group of people. We were together until I… accidently died. I "respawned" and now I’m here.” I seemed to have made a mistake. Preston slammed his his fists on the table, swearing as he did so.

        “WHY YOU!? WHY NOT JAMES?” He yelled, turning to me. Tears flowed down his face. Putting my hands up in surrender, I backed away from him.

        “Who's James? What are you talking about Preston?!” I said, trying not to raise my voice.
        “WHY DID YOU HAVE TO BE THE ONE WHO CAN VOID WALK?!” Preston screamed. He charged, punching me hard in the stomach. I doubled over, clutching at my stomach. Preston was panting, his fists raised. I stood up, but didn’t fight back. It was just wrong. He swung again, but this time I dodged out of the way. He kept swinging at me, but missed every time. By the time he had calmed down, he was out of breath. He sat on the floor and put his head in his hands.

        “What is void walking?” I asked calmly. He looked up at me, and I sat across from him, ready for a long explanation...

        A/N:  Hey! look! I updated during the week! I'm so prad. Anyways, Vote, Comment, Share, do other things that help me like maybe subscrieb. Or don't, whatever. Also, this story has nearly 450 reads! That's a lot! Thanks guys. Anyway, I'm probably not going to update till later next week, as I'm going to edit some other chapters. I'm also going to re-write chapter four, so make sure you read the better version! The first (And second) Both sucked so yeah. I attempted to make this one a little bit longer too. What did you think? Good? Bad? MEH?! Comment! See ya. Peace!

-Tyler.