Chapter Twenty Seven - Baby You Light Up My World

"Aw, Sasukeeeeeeeeeeeee..."

"No, [Name]. Go away." I huffed indignantly as Sasuke hung up on me after one of our daily phone calls, disgruntled by his lack of response. It had been a week since his oh so shocking revelation about his break up with Sakura, and I had still yet to crack him about the identity of his secret love. It irritated me every waking moment of my existence: did I know her? Was it even a her? Or was it a him? Was Sasuke actually gay, but refused to come to terms with his sexuality?

"Ugh. Stubborn bastard," I muttered, flinging myself back onto my mattress. I sighed and held up my phone to my face, pouting as I went through my contacts.

"Hinata, maybe? Nah, she doesn't seem his type, and he wouldn't do that to Naruto... ooooh, maybe he likes Naruto!" I squealed and laughed to myself as I scrolled past the Uzumaki's name on my list, giggling like a little girl as I envisioned the two together.

"NaruSasu yaoi. Hah," I cackled, resuming my browsing. I stopped upon reaching a certain name, and frowned with curiosity.

Sakura Haruno.

A small smirk of triumph crept across my face. Finally.  Answers.

***

"... hey, Sakura, thanks for coming today." I smiled politely at the light haired Haruno as we both took our seats at a table in a local cafe, ready to discuss business. The pinkette returned my smile, nodding at me.

"Anytime. What's up?" I coughed into my sleeve and leaned over the tabletop, closing the space between us so that there was less chance of being overheard.

"Why did you and Sasuke split up?" I asked monotonously, not even meeting her gaze. When I did look up, however, her face was frozen in a smile, and her hands were clasped tightly in front of her. She looked stiff, rigid, and it made me wince. Had there really been more to the break up than what Sasuke had told me?

"Well, um... basically, I'm not the girl for Sasuke," grinned Sakura, awkwardly scratching the back of her head. I blinked at her in dismay.

"What?" She merely shrugged, putting on a nonchalant face.

"We just didn't click," she said, giving me a "it didn't really matter" sort of shrug. "We didn't even kiss." Now I was starstruck.

"What?" Sakura shrugged again.

"Like I said, we never really clicked," she repeated, screwing my mind over even more. "But, you know, [Name], you've known Sasuke for a long time. Maybe you know what he looks for in women?" I scratched the back of my head in thought.

"Er... I was pretty sure it was you..." I mumbled in a defeated tone, pulling a face. "I guess I don't know duckbutt as much as I thought I did..." Sakura managed a light laugh, and playfully slapped my hand as I backed into my seat

"Quite the contrary, [Name]. I think you know Sasuke far more than anyone else could." I chortled at Sakura's words; was she trying to tell me something?

"Are you implying that I'm- oh no way," I tittered, shaking with laughter. Sure, I'd toyed around with the idea that maybe it could've been me Sasuke was talking about, but nothing added up. Or maybe I just didn't want them to add up. What would be the point of getting my hopes up only to find out that he wasn't actually talking about me and oh my god I'm rambling just stop.

Focus.

Sakura smiled mysteriously at me.

"[Name], have you ever seen Sasuke as more than a friend?" she cooed softly, making me gulp and face my fears.

"Uh..." Trick question? Yes? No? Maybe?

"I'm not getting my hopes up," I blurted out, grabbing the table. "I'm perfectly happy with the relationship Sasuke and I have now, and I really do hope that he finds someone who can light up his world just as much as..." My mind went blank and I trailed off, not knowing how to end my sentence. Just as much as what?

"Just as much as what, [Name]?" asked Sakura, leaning forward. I smiled weakly at her, slightly embarrassed.

"Well, as much as he lights up mine," I admitted sheepishly, flushing slightly. Sakura's face began to break into a beam, and I straightened out, pointing a stern finger at her face.

"You tell anyone that and I'll rip your throat out with my teeth!" I snarled, to make sure that no one found out what a huge softie I was. Sakura chuckled, and shook her head at me.

"Don't you worry, [Name]. You light up Sasuke's world just as much as he does yours." I grew hot in the face at her words, and clasped my hands over my reddening cheeks. Nuh uh. I couldn't risk it. Or was it worth the risk? I couldn't handle rejection well, which was why if I were to somehow "fall" for Sasuke only to find out he didn't return those feelings... well, I'd be royally screwed over.