Chapter Twenty Three - Heart to Heart

"So, what happened, hmm duckbutt?" I asked as I went through the racks of clothes around me, carefully analysing what they had on sale. I was more of a baggy sweater, black leggings kind of girl, but I guess a dress every once in a while wouldn't hurt. Especially ones that showed off my newfound buns. 

Sasuke trailed not too far behind me, looking as if he'd rather be anywhere else than shopping with me.

"What do you mean?" he piped up, scrunching his nose in distaste as I held a dress up to my front. I raised an eyebrow at him and returned the dress to its rack, putting one hand on my hip.

"Why are we all of a sudden updating my wardrobe, hmm? Is there something you're hiding from me? Are you moving out of town or something?" I poked, narrowing my eyes at the Uchiha. He rolled his eyes, and shook his head, muttering, "Idiot," under his breath.

"No, it was Sakura's idea," he sighed, putting a hand over his forehead. "She called me out for being a horrible friend, and ordered me to make amends."

"Make amends?" I mused, on the verge of bursting into laughter. "Wait... so Sakura's making you spend your money just because she thinks there's something wrong with our friendship? The nerve she has! She doesn't know anything about us!" 

Sasuke looked as if he wanted to say something, but couldn't quite find the right words for it. He looked around the store before lowering his voice, not wanting anyone to intrude or eavesdrop on our conversation.

"No, look, [Name]. I know this isn't the place or time, but I have to let it out, okay? I feel like a shit friend because you and I never get to hang out anymore. I've dedicated all my time to Sakura and furthering our relationship, while I've completely left you in the dust. You've been such a great friend to me in the shitty times that when fortune finally swung my way, I completely cut you out of the picture. And that was wrong. Especially seeing as it was your doing that lead me to doing so well. I'm sorry if I made you feel left out or abandoned before, and I completely understand why you'd want to start doing things with Suigetsu. But please, [Name], the only thing I want to do is make it up to you.

"I just want my best friend back." 

His last sentence was drenched in apology and remorse, and looking upon the tortured look on his face, I was actually astounded by his apology. Yes, I had noticed that he was spending more time with Sakura and less with me, but I didn't find that strange at all. It did hurt at first, but then again, Sakura was his girlfriend, and I was his best friend. His girl best friend. And that's the kind of thing where you can't have both at the same time. I understood that, so it didn't really affect me. 

But damn, it looked like it was something that had Sasuke riled up for a long time, and I grimaced at the thought. Sasuke never apologised for anything (I mean, I doubt he apologised for crashing Itachi's car, anyway), and the fact that he decided to apologise for something like this, well... it was weird.

"Aww, Sasuke! Come here!" I moved forward to the Uchiha with my arms outstretched, embracing him into a tight hug. Uncharacteristically, he complied and wrapped his own arms around me, and we were left standing in the middle of Balenciaga hugging each other, much to the dismay of the shop attendant, who was watching our embrace with a hawk's eye. I leaned my face on his chest, sighing.

"Look, I'm glad that you finally got that off your chest, but honestly, I don't see it that way at all!" I said in a soothing voice, swaying side to side. "But it's not a big deal, really. There's nothing wrong about you wanting to spend more time with your girlfriend; it's natural. I can understand why you're feeling guilty, but honestly, it's nothing to worry about." I smiled and held onto him at arm's length. "But I guess you could make it up to me... by buying me this dress oh my god look at it!" I squealed and broke away from Sasuke, heading over to one of the new arrival displays, where a long, blue and white striped sleeveless dress caught my eye. He held onto my hand as I tore away, and I dragged him over to the display. My jaw dropped when I saw the price.

"Over a thousand dollars?! Sasuke, why did you bring me to this store, of all places?! I could've bought all the clothes in Walmart with this money! Even the ugly ones!" I exclaimed, looking incredulously at the Uchiha. He smirked, squeezing my hand reassuringly.

"Take whatever you want. Don't look at the price," he said softly, inclining his head at me. I frowned, uneasy about spending a grand on a dress. "The more expensive, the better. What about that black one over there? It would look nice on you." I bit my lip and looked at what he was indicating. It was a black, long-sleeved dress that went down to the knees, made of a light, flowing material. Sasuke began swinging our linked hands together, humming under his breath.

"You could get both," he hinted, smirking at me. I sighed. Well, if he said so, then...

"Yeah. I'll have a look around. And ignore the price," I smiled, disbelieving of the entire situation. Sasuke squeezed my hand again, and I grinned at him.

"Thank you, Sasuke," I said sheepishly. He shook his head, and put a finger over his lips.

"Shh. Start looking." 

Maybe I was just a sucker for expensive things, or maybe it was from his heartfelt apology, but I think that was when my heart began to soften for Sasuke.