3. the world cup

"We'd better get ready," Mr Weasley said, looking at Harry and Hermione. "You just need to touch the boot, a finger will do," He said, referring to the portkey in Amos Diggory's hands. 

With difficulty, owing to their bulky backpacks, the nine of them crowded around the old boot held out by Amos Diggory.

A slight breeze rushed through everyone's hair, but it was silent. Harry wanted to comment on the fact that it would be very weird if a muggle saw them at this second, but before he could say anything, Mr Weasley counted down from three. 

It happened immediately: Harry felt as though a hook just behind his navel had been suddenly jerked irresistibly forward. Nessie's and Hermione's shoulders knocked right into Harry, as he was between them. He could feel himself lifting and spinning, fading, but he couldn't pull away. It was as if his finger was glued onto the boot. 

And then, his feet hit the ground. It threw him off guard, just like almost everyone. Almost everyone, apart from Cedric, Amos, and Mr Wealsey, who were on the ground. 

Nessie groaned as she had fallen on her back, and something from inside her bag was poking at her back. Cedric appeared above her, giving her a hand to hold onto. 

"I know I'm good-looking, but don't fall for me," He said with a small smirk on his lips, which made Nessie scoff. She took his hand and pulled herself up on her feet. 

"Yes, I'm okay, thank you for asking." She muttered brushing past him, but he caught up to her, throwing his arm over her shoulder to pull her into a side hug. 

After handing in the portkey, the Diggorys went their own way, with Cedric promising to see Nessie later, and so they set off to where they had to pay. 

"I'm so excited! Bulgaria is playing, after all! Have you seen Viktor Krum!?" Ron exclaimed as he walked alongside the older girl. She nodded and threw her arm around his shoulder, pulling him closer, as a few people passed them, not paying attention to where they were going.

Mr Weasley and Harry took care of the payment as the others waited nearby, and soon they began walking towards the forest. The teenagers talked excitedly about the event as they neared a space, a sign saying 'WEEZLY' on it perched nearby.

"Perfect!" Mr Weasley exclaimed, clapping his hands. "We need to put the tents up by hand! No magic allowed, as there are too many muggles!"

Harry and Hermione worked it out, the others helping when necessary, and soon they had two tents perched up. Nessie walked inside the girls' tent, the two other girls following behind. "Oh wow!" Hermione exclaimed, making the older smile. Everyone walked to their beds, setting their stuff either on the bed or next to it.

"Hermione!" They heard Ron call out, and the girl dashed out, waving at the other two in the process.

"I'm gonna go visit Cedric. I'll be back soon!" Nessie called out to the red-haired girl who was busy making her bed. The younger nodded and Nessie took her wand, placed it in her jacket's pocket, and left the tent.

The girl walked around, exchanging friendly smiles with the strangers she made eye contact with, stopping by some of her schoolmates to greet them and chat for a bit.

Finally, she found the tent she was looking for. Nessie could hear her best friend laughing from the inside of it and smiled, pulling the front of it open.

"Oh-"

She didn't expect anything similar to what she saw. Cedric and a Ravenclaw student a year bellow them, Cho Chang, were sitting around the table in the middle of the tent, laughing as they drank something, which looked very similar to Butterbeer.