19: A Death In The Family

Part Three | Chapter Nineteen: A Death In The Family

August 1919

Newport, Rhode Island

We're dragging suitcases out from the hotel room, Harry's eyes glued to the glass windows that display everything beneath us. People walking calmly down the street, babies being pushed in their strollers, laughter heard from all these stories below. His eyes don't move even when I shut the door a bit too hard, glancing at him sheepishly and ready to apologize. He doesn't flinch, brows furrowed as he watches the state of Rhode Island habitants. Unsure about what he's thinking about, I reach over and gently grasp his hand with my free one, tightening my fingers with his. He blinks and glances at me. With a firm squeeze, his wedding ring cuts painfully into my skin, but I don't say anything, nudging my head towards the long hallway to signal our departure.

Harry looks down the hallway and nods. "We're going home," he says.

"Yes," I say, examining his face to see what those words have caused. He doesn't seem upset or happy. It's just a statement. We're going home. "Is there anywhere else you want to go?"

Harry shakes his head. "Is there anywhere you would like to go? I feel as if I've dragged you through this vacation."

I stop walking and smile up at him, shaking my head. "I promise I wasn't dragged anywhere. I went willingly and I loved it."

Something darkens in Harry's eye when he stops walking as well, standing beside me, rigid. For a few seconds, he glances back outside and then turns his body towards me, giving me his undivided attention. He releases my hand and wraps his arms around his torso, insecurely. "But if we weren't to go home, is there a place in mind you'd like to visit?"

"I'd go anywhere with you," I tell him.

The shadow in his eye lightens as his eyebrows raise. To my surprise, a blush passes over his face.

"Oh, God," I gasp comically, reaching out to grab onto his jacket lapels. "Are you blushing, Styles?"

"Shove off," he says, but there's a smile on his face. "You know what I mean. I know you'll go anywhere with me, but I'm talking about right now. Is there anywhere you would like to go?" He pauses and frowns. "Somewhere in a 50 mile radius because we're low on funds."

Would I like to go anywhere else? I think about it for a moment, releasing Harry's jacket and letting my arms fall back to my sides. This country, though I've been here for two years, is foreign to me. It was lucky for me that all the places we visited had familiar faces and I went with Harry, but I couldn't imagine doing it alone. I think there are a lot of places to explore, but right now? Where do I want to be right now?

Harry smiles, leaning against the windows. He puts his suitcase down and holds his hand out. I automatically reach my arm up to put it in his outstretched hand, but the back of his knuckles grazing against my cheek stop me. "Shall we go home then?" Harry says softly, tucking my hair behind my ear.

Yes. That's where I'd like to go. Home, with Harry. I've accepted this new normal. Has he? I study him and his gentle, encouraging smile.

"Are you okay with going home?"

"Of course I am. I think it's time we make it our home."

"Our home?" I say faintly.

He drops his hand and tucks it into his pocket. "I'm a little ashamed to admit this, Annaliese, especially since you had to suffer these past three weeks, but I never really considered that house our home. Of course, it's where we live, but I never...liked being there."