Chapter Seventeen

"Rowan..." He began, "I still like you more than anything."

I smiled, "I still like you too, but the problem is, we can't be together because of my brother." I had my arms wrapped around his neck, looking into his eyes.

"We can always keep it a secret, but I'll wait til you're ready."

Benny was always so respectful, It's what I found most attractive about him. I placed my head against his chest. I missed this feeling.

"Are you gonna come to the sandlot tomorrow?" He asked me.

I let go of him, "Yeah, of course."

* * * *

I felt a lot better ever since Benny and I made up. I got ready to go to the sandlot for my first day back. I knew I was going to hear stupid sexist jokes, but those are the remarks I miss hearing all the time.

I quickly put on an outfit, out of excitement that I finally get to go back to the sandlot

I quickly put on an outfit, out of excitement that I finally get to go back to the sandlot. I ran outside, thankfully not running into anybody in my family. I quickly went to my destination, once I arrived the boy's faces lit up. Which was really weird.

"Finally you're back!" Yelled Tommy, "We've been needing you!"

"For what?" I questioned skeptically. This felt like some sort of trap.

"You're just a great player." Exclaimed Bertram, "We're really sorry for the way we treated you, after you left we noticed that you make the game more challenging and fun."

I rolled my eyes with a humble smile on my face, "Whatever, let's play." I laughed.

Benny came over to me, "We can't play if you don't have your glove."

"Shit!" I yelped, "I keep forgetting to get it back from my brother."

Benny chuckled a bit which made me feel a bit confused, he reached to his back pocket and took out the glove he gave me before. "I think this belongs to you."

I smiled, "Thanks Benny boy." I went over to shortstop, which is where I played.

It felt great being back, I had a lot of fun playing with these guys. No more sexist jokes which kind of made it better. The only slightly irritating thing is that when you're up to bat and Ham just rambles his mouth. I mean he does that to everyone so I'm no special.

After a couple of hours of playing baseball, I noticed my brother running. Except he seemed to be worried instead of trying to start a fight. So of course, all of us became intrigued.

"Rowan! You need get home right now!" He said out of breath once he reached me, "Mom came back."

"What?" My heart dropped.

"Mom came back! Now come on this is serious shit!"

I looked at the group once Jordan started running back, "Sorry guys, this is important." I then turned back around and ran after Jordan.

I entered my house quickly to see my mother sitting in the living room. This was such a weird feeling, I haven't seen her since I was eleven years old.

"Hello." She got up and smiled, she came over to me, bringing me into a big hug. She then did the same to Jordan, "I think it'd be a good idea that we all hang out somewhere!" She exclaimed, "I can't believe how much you two have grown."

Jordan and I looked at each other then back at our mom.

"Come on you two! Get in the car!" She left the house and got into her red convertible.

I looked back at Jordan, "Is she just coming back acting like nothing ever happened?"

"Yeah." He shrugged, "Pretty much."

I folded my arms, "Okay, well I'm not doing this."

"Doing what?"

"Going to follow through with mom's act so she can leave again in three days."

"I'm not gonna get into her car alone, so you're coming with me." Jordan forcefully grabbed my wrist and led me to her car. We both hopped into the backseat, she immediately drove off.

"So what do you guys like to do for fun now?" She asked us full of pep in her voice.

"Play baseball." Answered Jordan.

"What about you Rowan?"

"Same thing." I said with my arms folded, I was watching all the structures pass by as we drove down the road. I didn't know where she was taking us.

"Oh that's cool, do you play with your brother?" She continued to pester with questions.

"No." My brother answered for me, "She has her own team of boys to play with."

I snapped my head in Jordan's direction and gave him a dirty look.

"Okay." My mom was slightly weirded out, "Are you with any of them?" My mom obviously did not know boundaries.

"No." I blankly told her.

"Really?" Jordan became sarcastic, "What about Benny?"

"Benny?" My mom was shocked slightly, "Who's Benny?"

"Oh my god!" I looked at my brother, "Do you ever shut up Jordan?!"

"Hey hey! Calm down now!" My mom started to become extremely irritating. We finally pulled into a parking lot of the local ice cream shop.

Word Count: 850