03 | another time

I watch as the guitarist talks to Cal and the other band members

I watch as the guitarist talks to Cal and the other band members. Unlike Cal, who somehow still makes me feel okay being around him despite his bad-boy aura, the guitarist seems a lot more intimidating. Just like now, he barks about something, looking pissed.

I look at my watch and sigh. It's time for me to go home. I should have done so earlier, anyway. I didn't bring my car here because I was planning to go with Keisha if we decided to leave early, but since she's not even here now, calling an Uber seems like a good idea.

Unfortunately, I find my phone dead, and a curse leaves my lips. How come the battery drained so quickly? Maybe it's time for me to buy a new phone.

The situation is even worse because I forgot to bring the charger. I guess that I have no choice but to find a cab outside.

I head toward the door, trying to ignore the stares from the men I pass by. Geez, the only thing good about this place is the live music.

I push the door, inhaling the fresh night air that blows through my hair and skin. The street is deserted, and I don't know how long I should wait for the cab.

When I start shivering due to the chilly wind, my arms wrap themselves around my waist. It's not supposed to be cold, but unfortunately, my body has very little tolerance to it.

It's annoying how I easily feel cold.

Just when I think that a few more minutes won't hurt, the laughter from the men talking outside the bar stops short. Silence falls, one that makes the hair on the back of my neck stand.

I turn my head to check but immediately regret it. My eyes dart on a group of guys smoking cigarettes outside. The way they gaze at me sends shivers running down my spine -- my body feels like being scanned from head to toe.

What the hell is wrong with all the men here tonight?

One guy with spiked hair and a cut on his cheek licks his lips. "Looking for a ride?" His voice is low as he tilts his head. All of his friends focus their gazes on me too, as though they're looking at their prey.

I've never hated the fact that my phone is dead this much. Maybe I should just walk away now. My house is just a few blocks away. Even though it's already late at night, I think it's better than being at this place any second longer.

While I'm about to turn around and head to the road, a voice startles me.

"Amelia?"

I turn around and find Cal, who just exited the bar. He frowns, noticing how the guys step back once they spot him.

"Let's go," he speaks to me through gritted teeth. I automatically follow him, who leads me out of their sight.

Silence falls as we walk along the pavement. Again, he saves me. Where are we going? Is he going to walk me home?

Wait. How do I know that he's not dangerous like them?

"I told you that it wasn't safe," Cal finally says, slowing down his pace.

I swallow as my eyes drop to the ground. I can't help but agree with him.

The bar wasn't a comfortable place to hang out. Something about it just seemed off.

I look at him and see concern crossing his expression.

"What brought you there?" he asks.

I sigh. "My friend heard someone hyping about the music there. She asked me to go with her. I bet she didn't expect that the bar was that horrible."

My body shudders as I remember the atmosphere, especially the girls being feasted by multiple men and the smell of cigarettes that makes the place even worse.

The chilly air blows through my skin again, and I hug my waist again, biting my bottom lip. Gosh, I'm only wearing a halter top, and it's too windy now.

My eyes widen as I feel Cal drape his jacket around my shoulders. When I look at him, a small smirk touches the corner of his lips.

"It seems like the night's not for you, Amy," he says playfully, but his gaze is so intense that it feels like piercing right through me. "Let me walk you home."

When he returns his gaze to the road, I notice his now exposed arm, covered in tattoos although I can't see them clearly in the dark.

I realize that I'm drawn to this stranger more than I should be, so I try to shake it off. I slip into his leather jacket, and his masculine scent fills my nostrils. I can't describe it, but it's something that I can find myself getting addicted to if I don't take the jacket off soon.

"Where's that friend of yours?" Cal asks. "She did realize that you were left alone, didn't she?"

"She had an emergency," I defend her in a small voice.

"Then why did you stay?"

My lips form into a thin line, and I look down at the road again, thinking hard about his question. That's a good one.

"I must admit that the music was good," I say genuinely. "Like, your voice is really good."

Cal lets out a small chuckle, throwing his head back as he closes his eyes. He inhales the night air. "I'm glad that you enjoyed it."

The other reason was that he practically told everyone in the room that I was his 'girlfriend', which would make him feel like a fool if I just left.

But bringing that topic will only make everything awkward, so I zip my mouth.

"What's your favorite band?" he questions again.

We talk about music while walking further down the road. Cal does a good job in making me blurt out some of my favorite bands. And when he mentions his, I don't even recognize some of them because they're coming from a different era.

"I know that it might be too mainstream for you." I laugh while he eyes me with amusement. "But I do want to go to Coldplay's concert once before I die."

"I understand that kind of wish," he tsks. "That's the first one on the list? Come on, Amy, you should give the other guys the honor too."

I ponder in thought, tapping my chin with my fingers. "Well, then, I love Arctic Monkeys, I'd die if I could watch them perform live."

Cal chuckles again, and the longer we talk, the more amazed I am at how fast I warm up to him.

Shouldn't I be cautious because we just met a few hours ago?

I'm fully aware that I'm letting a stranger walk me home, and before I know it, we've reached our destination.

"Thanks, Cal." I give him a soft smile, stopping right in front of my house. "Thanks for walking me home."

I have a feeling that I won't see him again, since I'm not planning to visit that bar again, even with Keisha. Cal looks up at my house, and when he returns his gaze to me, I feel my breath catch in my throat.

Cal leans closer to me. He's just so tall that he has to lower his posture to level his eyes with mine. "We'll see each other again, Amy," he whispers.

Those words leave me confused. He walks away, and I can only stare at his back. I'm still trying to digest his sentence when I walk toward the porch of my house.

When I turn the doorknob, my eyes drop to my hand, and I realize what I'm still wearing.