37

"You know, if we'd run to Starbucks instead, we wouldn't have run into the Collective."

Sophie shot Biana an exasperated look and went back to kicking the wall of her bedroom.

In two minutes and forty three seconds- not that she was counting, of course -Sophie, Biana, Keefe, Dex, and Fitz would have to face a Black Swan Tribunal- the rare hearing judged by the Collective that proceeded whenever a spy or spy-in-training violated the Black Swan's rules. A probation trial was hopeful- but expulsion from the agency was realistic. They had stolen a helicopter, gotten captured by the Neverseen, and blown Keefe's cover- one of the only crucial connections the Black Swan had, whether they knew about it or not.

"Oh, stop kicking the wall!" a feminine voice snapped, sounding irritated. "You're going to ruin your outfit- do you know how long it took to put that together? The colors! The shapes! Everything is perfectly thought out. You're supposed to be waiting, not playing soccer with the wall!"

Sophie scowled at her mirror. In the corner, the hologram of Vertina, the Black Swan's fashion expert, stood with her hands on her hips and looked disgusted.

She was 99% sure she'd trip on the long red gown and tall, golden heels that Vertina had chosen for her. Sophie could clearly picture herself face planting in Tribunal hall right as Agent Leto announced her sentence.

The door to their bedroom opened, and Agent Tinker poked her head inside. "Would you two like to follow me to your Tribunal?"

The words were obviously an order- but the eccentric tech expert preferred to speak in questions rather than statements. Biana slid off the bed, shooting her a nervous look. Sophie followed her through the door, determined to make friends with the floor.

_______________

"......charges against Keith Sencen for betrayal and mutiny against the Black Swan, as well as Sophie Foster, Fitz Vacker, Biana Vacker, and Dex Dizznee for theft, trespassing, and violation of laws.... Can you confirm these events?" Agent Leto lifted his head aboves his documents, disappointment lingering behind his straight face.

Sophie nodded, forcing her knees not to wobble.

A hand reached for her, and Sophie took it, the flutters in her heart hoping it was Fitz.

From somewhere beside her, Biana's tiny voice piped up, "But Operation-"

"Operation Takedown does not exist," Agent Leto interrupted firmly. "I've had every Technopath in our facility run files and search through hundreds of our databases and networks, and not a single mention of it has popped up. It's a hoax you and your friends have created to justify your actions, Agent Vacker."

Sophie cringed. Fitz's hand squeezed hers. But all that settled was a tense silence that nobody wanted to break.

Agent Leto sighed. "Very well. I'm afraid there's no other choice but to-"

"Excuse me, with all due respect Leto..." From beside him, Agent Blur stood up, bowing slightly. "I have a suggestion."

Leto raised a weary eyebrow. After a beat of silence, he sighed, "Go on."

"Though these spies-in-training have violated many laws today, their obvious talent cannot go unrecognized. Wouldn't it be better to let them redeem themselves rather than eject them from the program altogether?"

"We tried that route before with them," Wraith pointed out. "And some people do not deserve redemption for their actions. You of all people should know that, Blur."

Blur took a step back, like those words stung. But his unease only lasted a moment. "I'm not talking about another mission. They don't deserve such a privilege. These arrogant children need humbling- and a large amount of it, I admit. Community service work, volunteering at Foxfire High School. As normal kids. They need to remember how lucky they are to be a part of the Black Swan at all."

Sophie couldn't decide if that punishment was better or worse. High school had been.... eventful to say the least, before Fitz had recruited her for the Black Swan.

Agent Leto closed his eyes for a count of ten. Finally, they opened. "Very well. We'll get an Agent to drive you to Foxfire tomorrow morning. I'll take your pendants, in the meantime."

Sophie bit her lip, reluctantly pulling off the pendant from her neck with her free hand.

"It's going to be okay, Sophie," Fitz promised from beside her. Sophie jumped at the sound of his voice.

And not because she hadn't been expecting him to talk to her.

But because it hadn't been him that was holding her hand throughout the Tribunal.

Keefe gave her hand another reassuring squeeze. "Come on, Foster." A hint of a smirk appeared on his face, and Sophie could barely understand how he could sound so innocently enthusiastic as Keefe added, "Let's go back to high school!"