Prologue

Y/N was in her beach house and her mother was yelling at her while her two sisters watched. "How could you do this behind our backs, Y/N?" Y/N's mother screamed at her.
"I just wanted to make something important to me, part of me forever! Can't I do anything without making you disappointed in me?" Y/N yelled back to her mother.
"Obviously not because you yourself are a disappointment!" her mother yelled back.
"Mom!" Y/N's sister, Frally, yelled.
"Forget it, Fral. She meant what she said and she will never be able to take it back," Y/N said, eyeing the woman she once called her mother.
"--What's going on?" Y/N's father came in through the door with a surfboard.
"Look what your daughter has done," Y/N's mother said as she pushed her towards her father.
"Don't touch me! I'll show him myself," Y/N said angrily, pushing her mother away and walking towards her father with pride in her step. She lifted her shirt from the back and showed her father what she had done.
"Y/N...that's..." her father trailed.
"Papa, I know. You're disappointed..."
"I like it--"
"Harold!" Y/N's mom exclaimed.
"She's just turned seventeen, Carol. She's able to get one if she wants to," Y/N's father argued.
"But, dad. She did it without permission," Y/N's other sister, Annie said.
"Shut up Annie! Papa said I'm old enough! And I used my own money to do it. It's not like I stole mom or papa's credit card," Y/N snapped at her sister.
"I think we all need to stay calm," Fral interjected.
"Don't get involved, Frally," Y/N's mother hissed.
"Let her talk!" Y/N yelled.
"Guys, please don't yell at each other. It's not going to help anything," Frally pleaded.
"The only way to get us to stop yelling at each other is if I leave, which I am going to do," Y/N said one last time before she grabbed the board her papa was holding and left the beach house. She was already wearing her rash guard and shorts so she didn't need to change.
"I'll go talk to her," Frally said, following Y/N out towards the beach.

Y/N sensed that someone was following her.
"I'm not in the mood, Fral," she said in an annoyed tone as she continued walking down the beach with the board in hand.
"Just give mom and Annie time. They'll come around," Fral insisted.
"Or send me to a tattoo removal guy. I got this tattoo because I was proud to be who I was. Now I'm not so sure since I'm a disappointment,"
"Hey, you are not a disappointment," Frally said, placing a hand on Y/N's shoulders, stopping her in her tracks.
"Then what am I? Who am I? I don't even know myself because I'm many things in different people's eyes," Y/N said, tears swelling up in my eyes.
"Well, for starters, you're my sister. My sister who I love more than anything in this world. Papa and I want you to be happy. And I know how much Annie relates to mom who is kinda thick headed, but they love you too. They just don't like the fact that you're growing up. And Papa, he wants you to grow up being happy. I'm sure that he's in there right now, talking to mom to change her mind. You did after all get a tattoo of our family emblem, which is very important to our family."
"That's what I thought too. I think it made Papa proud, but all I do is disappoint mom. It all started when I didn't want to go to that private school because you couldn't go and I didn't want to go unless you did. And I want to stay here with you to help you with your pregnancy, but I can't do it with mom and Annie around and I--"
Y/N's cocked her head towards the ocean and saw that the storm that was coming in was causing bigger waves.
"Oh, I'm gonna catch this one!" she exclaimed before running into the water.
"Y/N, wait!" Frally exclaimed, but she couldn't run after her because she was already paddling towards one of the waves.

Just then, Y/n's father, mother, and Annie came out and stood beside Frally on the beach.
"What in the world is she doing?" Y/N's mother questioned.
"She's riding out the huge waves that are being caused by the storm! Isn't that cool?" Frally exclaimed.
"She's doing well, but if she doesn't paddle in soon, she'll get hurt," Y/N's papa said.
"And when she does paddle in we're taking her to get that tattoo removed," Y/N's mother said.
"No we are not, Carol. We went over this. She's keeping the tattoo."
"--Will you guys be quiet? Look!" Frally exclaimed as she pointed to Y/N who was riding out a forty-foot wave!
"She's crazy!" Annie exclaimed.
They heard a whistle blow and saw that the lifeguard was now waving the red flag, which meant that the water was not safe.
All the other people who were out surfing paddled in, but Y/N did not. She continued to catch and ride the waves.
Her family started shouting at her to paddle in, but she of course did not and the next wave that she tried to catch a forty-five foot wave, but slipped off of her board and disappeared under the water.