13 - Starry Night

Words - 1921

------------------------

"Penny for your thoughts?"

There was no denying it; Naomi was positively at a loss for words. She did not consider herself a particularly 'introverted' person, let alone one who was reserved in her thoughts, but she was extremely self-aware of when she had nothing good to say.

Simply put, she did not trust herself to not stumble over her words at the moment. Dream sat beside her, his shoulder grazing hers, and she as if her face were on fire. The white noise feeling in her chest only worsened the nervous feeling she was experiencing, and the words of Sapnap, George, and Bad were floating around in her head in the most taunting manner possible. Angel and Devil on her shoulders telling her what was the best thing to say in response; she was very rarely in such a bind. Mentally prepping herself, she tried to act as normal as she possibly could. "I uh... I have no need for pennies."

Great start.

Dream let out a noise somewhere between a chuckle and a wheeze before gently landing a pat on her head, causing her to stiffen in both embarrassment and shock. "No pennies required, then. Just thoughts."

"Am just thinking is all."

"Isn't that what you're always doing?" He smiled and leaned back a tad, just gaze redirecting towards the sky above. "Always thinking." She hummed slightly, her eyes on him for just a tad longer than she intended for them to be. "Oh? Checking me out?"

"NO!" It came out louder than she intended and she let out a cough of embarrassment in return for the surprised look on his face. He started laughing and she instinctively started to smack his arm. "Just um... spacing out!"

"Oh?" He scootched a tad closer to her and she flushed. Dream noticed instantly. When did he turn so bold? "You're warm."

"Am I now?!"

"Ha! Very." There was a short moment of silence. "Your wounds. How are they?"

"Practically healed," She gave him a thumbs up and a toothy grin. The reality of it was that she was still in a great deal of pain, mentally and physically, from the events that had occurred. However her motor abilities were back, and she was able to move around without feeling that same excrutating pain that she had been feeling originally.

Dream's lips curved into a warm smile. "I'd glad." Naomi's face warmed at the sight of his expression, something that didn't go unnoticed by the lad beside her. Another moment of silence, this time a bit less awkward. "I'm going to make a guess here..."

"Hm?"

"Um..." When she turned to take a look at his face, it was his turn to be flushed. His cheeks were apple red even in the darkness of the night. "You heard Dris... that other day, yeah?" Naomi nodded and he sighed slightly, averting his eyes and mumbling under his breath. "Yeah, I figured as much. I knew I should have told that idiot to shut up."

"Well," Trying to find the right words, Naomi looked up at the constellations. She felt a tad awkward asking, but there was nowhere else to turn to. Perhaps it was the perfect positioning of the stars in the night sky, or perhaps the dull thud of her heartbeat in her throat and chest, but she felt it was the right moment to discuss the feeling the two of them had been sweeping under the rug. "Was it all true?"

Her gaze remained skyward, but Dream was most certainly looking at her. She could not bring herself to look over at him; not those large green eyes and were wide and full of emotion just like the stars above. "If I say yes?" Her body stilled and he tucked a lock of her hair behind her ear. Were his calloused hands always so gentle? "What then?"