2 - The Men in the Forest

Words : 2429

----------------

Most days at the base were monotonous; a cycle of eat, hunt, sleep and the occasional adventure here and there to find other civilizations near them for trading purposes. The day before they had found Naomi was just like any other. Dream had been smelting some ores while Sapnap was fishing as usual out by the dock, passing the time by setting leaves on fire between line snags. Bad was inside baking some bread and George was tending to their small field of crops. It was a lazy, boring day and all four of the men were craving change.

"Dream~" The goggled man slumped over his dear friend, exasperated. "I want to do something." The blond ruffled George's hair and chuckled, amused by his friend's antics. They were brothers, in every light, as the connection they shared was far deeper than any friendship imaginable. "Get off your fat ass and come do something with me."

"Why don't you and Bad head out and gather some supplies then? You don't gotta ask me before doing stuff, you know." By then his companion had already shot off to collect Bad. Sapnap snorted, looking up at the overcast sky and lying on his back on the dock.

"It's gonna rain soon and you're sending them out? Not your smartest idea, Clay."

"Like I said, they can do whatever they want to. They're big boys." They laughed as a smattering of rain droplets began to fall from the sky. "What's the worst that could happen?"

---

Naomi woke up to the sound of screeches. The boys had given her a bed in the storage closet where she would sleep until George dug out and built a room for her. Annoyed and cranky, she gets up and makes herself mildly presentable, wearing fresh clothing Bad had given her while the clothes she came with were drying. Sitting on the bed, she opened up her satchel and rummaged through her things. Along with the books and vials she had managed to grab, she found a small drawstring bag containing five lapis lazuli gemstone. She mentally cheered, seeing that finding these gems was a whole different pain of it's own, and she always needed them on hand. Unfortunately, she did not have any blaze powder hidden in her bag, and she created a mental note for herself.

It was probably no later than 9 AM, with how fresh it smelt of dew and sunshine. Outside, she was met with the sight of Sapnap, George, and Bad trying to 3 v 1 Dream in a sword fight. To her surprise, Dream did not seem to be struggling in even the slightest.

"NO!" George roared as Dream smacked the sword from his hands, leaving the brown haired lank defenseless. Sapnap managed to catch the masked man off guard while he was distracted with George's outburst, and Bad yelled at George to get his sword back.

Naomi watched intently. They were all really skilled, and she could tell they all had very ingrained survival skills. Not many people lived out on their own in this world, seeing how much danger there was at every turn. Living in larger communities and villages was the safest way to protect yourself from the creatures that roamed around at night, and for the most part commoners did not have the liberty of having lanterns and weapons to protect themselves with.

"Naomi!" She snapped her head up to see Bad standing there. "We've been calling your name out for minutes now!" They had all flocked around her, tired and dripping with sweat. 

"Sparring?"

"Yeah, Dream makes us every morning." Sapnap groaned. "He's so annoying."

"It's good for us!" Bad smacked his arm. "It's dangerous at night so we have to be able to defend ourselves, you know?" He started explaining how the sparring worked, George and Sapnap pitching in with extra details here and there of the rules and the extent they could go to.