Chapter Two, Part Three - Mistress of Mayhem.

Standing in front of the garden's fountain, Charles watched the subtle ripples in his reflection. Expression sullen, his hands hung limply in his pockets as he wondered what was happening at the castle. Had the Prince decided to go forward with courting? Had he decided to rush into an engagement right then and there? Had Emilia jumped at the opportunity? Would he be coming back with her to complete a follow-up with the grand duchess? When would the wedding be?

His heart ached.

Why hadn't he told her?

His fists clenched inside his pockets, his gaze narrowing into a hard stare against the water.

Why couldn't he tell her?

Did it really no longer matter?

Had he really been too late?

"You've been out here for quite some time," came the soft and curious voice of the grand duchess, Helena.

Shaking his thoughts from his mind the best he could, Charles turned to greet the smiling duchess, who approached with folded hands and a slightly tilted head. He offered his best smile and a bow in return as she came to a stop beside him, glancing at the fountain in question.

"Am I needed inside?" he asked, eyes returning to the water.

"Is something troubling you, Charles?"

Charles smiled to himself, giving a slight shake of his head. "It seems I'm at a loss of what to do with myself without the young duchess," he chuckled. "I'm not one to take many days off."

"True," Helena nodded. "You're quite a diligent worker. We greatly appreciate you," she went on. "I haven't a doubt that Emilia wouldn't be the woman she is today without you."

"You give me too much credit, Miss."

The grand duchess shook her head with closed eyes. "My husband told me about last night."

Charles paused, before cautiously turning to look into her eyes. But to his surprise, they weren't threatening. They weren't even skeptical, unlike Charles'.

"M'lady?"

"About how you were comforting her nerves regarding today's call. Said she was crying when you found her."

"Yes ..." he truthfully admitted. "This is something she's wanted for so long. I'd think it quite natural to be nervous."

"I agree ..." Charles' brows furrowed at the tone of her voice as if to lead into another topic. "But I'm more so curious about what you were doing out here to catch her at such a moment."

"M'lady?"

"You mentioned having trouble sleeping."

"Yes ... I had woken up. When that happens, I usually come to the garden to clear my mind. It just so happened that Emilia had chosen to do the same that evening."

"And why did you have trouble sleeping? We aren't working you too hard, are we?" Charles hesitated to answer, seeing the look in her eyes shift from innocent to condemning. Helena smirked at the hesitation. "Was it because of Emilia's meeting?"

Charles' eyes widened at the connection that she was able to pull from so little.

"... M'lady?"

"When we made the announcement, I saw your reaction. You looked mortified, though you were valiant in your efforts to hide it," she giggled with a knowing grin.

"I ... That was merely ..." Charles struggled to come up with an appropriate cover, his brow catching a cold sweat under the scrutinizing gaze of the grand duchess. Heart thudding in his chest, he swallowed the lump in his throat. "I just can't believe she's already to have a suitor. And before the start of her first season."