Chapter Two, Part One - Boy Turned Suitor.

"Theo!" Duke Richard greeted as he and Emilia were shown into one of the many entertainment rooms of the castle. A castle that, in comparison to that of his elder brother's, King Cyrus, was modest, as far as castles go. While Theodore may have been a prince and brother to the King, one could argue that he was not alloted the same luxuries of the first royal family. 

Their living conditions and status were by no means abysmal, but their lives - and their estate - were much quieter in comparison. A fact that prince Theodore rather liked, given that it gave him the ability to frequent his good friends when his schedule allowed.

"Richard!" Theodore boomed as he rose from his seat. Rushing over, he threw his arms around the duke, patting his back with a hearty laugh and a broad smile. "It's been too long! How has the frigid season treated you?" he asked with another solid pat on the back as he took a step back to look him in the eyes.

Emilia's heart raced as she slowed to a stop behind her father, her eyes lingering on prince Benjamin, who was patiently waiting for his turn to greet the duke. She bit gently at her lower lip as she watched him. It had been almost three years since their families had visited one another in a group gathering. Her parents were right - Benjamin had grown into a fine man. 

His body had matured, gifting him a number of bold features fit for a gentleman. A pair of strong shoulders built to carry the weight of the world, should it ever be given to him. A full head of dirty blond hair, which was pulled back to showcase his dazzling blue eyes. And a sharp jawline that was as demanding as it was devious.

"Grateful for the thaw," Richard said with a chuckle of his own as he turned toward the awaiting Benjamin. "And I'm thinking that we're going to have plenty more opportunities to frequent one another," he smiled, grabbing and squeezing Benjamin's shoulder with one hand and throwing his other into a firm handshake. "Good to see you, my boy. You're looking strong."

"Ahah, thank you - you as well," Benjamin chuckled, somewhat jarred by Richard's handshake, the strength behind it catching him off guard. "A-And yes, I certainly hope to see you both more often, considering ..." he sheepishly smiled, casting his gaze toward Emilia, who almost immediately started to blush.

Her breath caught in her throat as Benjamin moved to approach her. How odd a feeling, to be flustered by Ben. Four years her senior, they had practically watched each other grow up, with how close their families had been over the years. And yet, this wasn't little Ben who was standing before her. It wasn't the little trickster who was reaching for her hand.

It was a man.

A man who, as of this moment, was her suitor.

"Emilia," Benjamin greeted as he took her hand in his own, their eyes locking. "Thank you for coming. You ... look as beautiful as ever," he gushed, bowing his head to tenderly kiss the back of her hand.

She gave a nervous smile, watching as his lips brushed her skin, briefly laying a soft blanket of warmth against it. She could feel herself resist the urge to giggle and pull her hand away from him, embarrassment surging through her and painting her cheeks as if they were playing some absurd game of pretend, still bound by the innocence of their youth.