Chapter Eight: Forgotten Family.

Harry felt once again the unwelcome feeling that he was going to be sick. The reason as to why Harry felt sick was not to be confused with the fact that Scarlett was a Muggle, but to what he had shown her. What would happen, now that she knew everything? Would Scarlett's mind be wiped clean, and then sent back to her family? That seems hardly fair, thought Harry, not after she saved my life. Then Harry's stomach gave an involuntary jolt. What would happen to him? Would he be once and for all expelled from Hogwarts for conducting magic in front of a Muggle? He had already endured a hearing at the Ministry of Magic once before for the same fault and Harry wondered if Dumbledoor would be able to get him out of expulsion twice. Harry's train of thought was interrupted. "What did you call me?" Asked Scarlett, with just the right amount of threat.

Harry let go of Scarlett's hand, or rather it was snatched away from him by its owner. "I'm sorry,’ started Harry. He turned to Lupin, who looked more aged and tired than ever with his face screwed up in concentration. "I performed magic in front of her...but I didn't know...and i-i-'

"It's quite alright Harry,' Lupin assured him. Mad-eye Moody shuffled over to Scarlett's bed and ripped the old piece of parchment from the bed-end. 'You are not Miss Smith?' he asked.

'No,' replied Scarlett, a little dignity sounded though the one word. Mad-eye grunted.

'So you are Miss Smith,' he said.

"No! I said no, as in no I am not Miss Smith, not as in I am Miss...Oh this is too confusing,' and she sat on her bed with a thump."Guinevere Smith, Guinevere Smith...' Lupin rolled the name off his tongue over and over again. "Where have I read that name?'

'Guinevere Smith is an Australian Magical Creature Breeder for Endangered Species,' explained Tonks, speaking for the first time. 'She was called to a hearing last month in the Ministry. Grapevine tells us that she was trying to breed all types of dangerous things together for research. They also say that say was selling them on black-market to wealthy Muggles! 'Got some serious money out of it too.' Harry was reminded of Norbert, the Norwegian Ridgeback dragon Hagrid had won as an egg from a man in the dodgy Hog's Head bar. 'They let her off (can't imagine why), so she returned to her home in England, only to keep breeding the things. She was caught a few days ago with a gash taken out of her leg,' Tonks waved a hand towards Scarlett's bandaged leg. 'Guess they put the Australian accent and the leg wound together. How did you hurt you leg anyway?' Tonks asked her. Mad-eye staggered across the hospital floor, now strewn with Wild Pansies. 'No need for that now. We must tell the healers about the mistake and she will be sent back to her family, no harm done. Memory modified,' he said and sat down on the visitor chair, leaning his cane on his knees.

"What?' said both Scarlett and Harry together. Scarlett turned to Harry, confused at the reasons for his outbreak. "You're sending me back to Sue and Greg?' she asked, averting her eyes to Lupin once more.

'That seems hardly fair,' said Harry a little uncomfortably, 'I mean, she saved my life and everything, It's not right just to pat her on the back and push her out the door, like nothing happened, memory modified.

'Exactly!' exclaimed Scarlett, still looking at Lupin. 'You can’t send me back to those posh fosters; they look at me like I'm something on the bottom of their shoes!' Scarlett looked like she had been waiting to say this for a very long time. 'Why, Why was it that Greg rocked up on my dead parent’s door steps, and not my last part of family! This is why? Because you are a-a...wizard?' Scarlett reached into the neck of her gown and pulled out a heavy golden locket, displaying a magnificent crest. 'Does family mean nothing to you?' She shook the crested locket in Lupins face. 'Quod remanet nectitis familia aliis , does this mean nothing!?'

Lupin reached for Scarlett's hand but she slapped it away. He sighed; 'Scarlett...When your mother died, I could not have been more devastated. But you need to understand that my life isn't safe. I'm not safe,' he added looking pained. Not once did Scarlett break eye contact with her uncle, as they looked at each other for what seemed like forever. 'Make it up to me,' she said.

'Take me into your world. Because you sure as hell know I don't belong in the other.'