Chapter 1

Chapter 1: Save Me From Moving

I jump back as the clear crystal water almost touches my bare toes. It’s sad really; the ocean used to be my home, my comfort place, where my dreams were coming true. And that was just ten months ago. But now, I was too scared to even let the water touch my toes!

“We’re going out one last time,” My best friend Scott calls as he runs past me into the water with Lucy and Addison on his heels. I take another step back so the water wouldn’t splash me but take a seat on the sand, letting my fingers and feet sink in.

Lucy is my cousin; her mom being my mom’s sister. Scott and Lucy are more like my brother and sister from our diaper ages. We spend every waking minute together and we’re close enough to even call each other’s parents mom and dad.

Scott is a tan boy with dark hair that is always spiked up in the front. He is an amazing surfer, just like the rest of us, and he is the most responsible of our group. He loves to play all sorts of sports ranging from basketball, football, surfing, to even lacrosse. Everyone loves him in school and he has tons of friends, but he stays with Lucy and I for the most part.

Lucy is more on the paler side and she has long orange hair that falls down her back. She has entrancing green eyes that capture mostly everyone’s attention. People say she scares them with her sassy remarks but really, once you got to know her, she was one of the greatest people alive.

“You should come in, it’s really nice,” Lucy calls over her shoulder, laying on her surf board paddling out into the waves.

“You can’t stay out there forever,” Scott agrees, following behind Lucy and Addison.

“I’m perfectly fine out here,” I yell loud enough for them to hear. I see them shake their heads but they continue paddling out, waiting for the perfect wave. Of course I miss surfing, I miss the thrill of it and I miss how much I used to love it, but I just can’t do it anymore.

Addison is my sister, my nine year old little sister. She has been through so much, seen some horrible things, and in return has gone mute (the doctors said it was her way of coping). She hasn’t spoken a word in ten months and it was all my fault. I felt guilty every time someone would try to speak to her and she would just stare back because I know if it wasn’t for me, she would be a happy nine year old.

My sister looks nothing like Jake and I. She has pin straight brown hair and hazel eyes. She is also as pale as a ghost which astounds me since we do live in Hawaii. She looks more like my dad than anything.

“Hey Tucker,” I coo as my Border Collie Retriever Mix bounds into my lap. His coat is pure black with a white strip running down his chest. We got him last year, the day after I finally completed a back flip with my surfboard and actually landed. It took years and years of learning and trying and failing, but I finally succeeded… And my prize was our dog. Addy and I named him Tucker, after a tuck, or in other words a flip. It just sort of fit.

Anyways, he loves everyone and he loves the beach and the ocean so he fits in perfectly with my family. But he has a huge connection to Addy and I. He follows us and copies us as much as he can. When either one of us is upset, he’s curling up in a ball next to us, when we’re happy, he’s running around the living room in joy. He’s our best friend.

“Addison, out of the water, we’re leaving in ten minutes!” My brother Jake sighs, but you can see the pride in his eyes as Addy caught a wave. She surfs the wave, cutting into the white and then jumps off the board. She smiles as she comes out of the water, rubbing her eyes. “Great job!” He cheers, fist pumping the air.

My brother is 17 years old with blonde shaggy hair and bright blue eyes. He’s an amazing surfer but he focuses more of his time on the basketball court. I won’t say he’s hot but I’m assuming he’s eye candy to a lot of girls since all my friends tell me how they wish they could bang him. But what I will say is that he and I are really close, I’m only a year younger so we have a lot of the same friends and we go to a lot of the same parties. Even though he’s taken on the father role in mine and Addy’s life, he’s still really laid back about a lot of things.