Boston Strangler

In a short period between June 1962 and January 1964 a series of grisly murders took place in Boston. All the victims were women who had been strangled. The Boston Strangler has been held accountable for around 11 murders of women out of 13 victims. No one was actually tried for the Boston murders. But one Albert DeSalvo was believed to be the man responsible. Albert actually confessed to each of the 13 official Strangler murders. However, some doubt was shed on Albert having been the killer by people who personally knew and worked with him. What marks these particular murders out in the annals of serial killing is the fact that all the victims were considered to be mature or elderly. The combination of old age, loneliness and vulnerability, adds to the brutality and tragedy of the events. Albert DeSalvo, a well built 29 year old, had a history of breaking and entering into properties for years. He had spent time in prison for a bizarre series of 'peeping tom' like escapades where he would knock on ladies' doors, pretend he was a model scout and proceed to 'measure up' the flattered woman if he was lucky enough to get in. It seemed a harmless, albeit disturbing, pastime and Albert spent 18 months in prison for such sexual oriented mischievousness. 

Albert had a tough upbringing. He was brought up with 4 other siblings and his father was a wife-beating alcoholic. The boy became a delinquent and spent time in and out of prison for petty crime and violence. Years later after he had been discharged from the army for disobeying orders he settled down and married his sweetheart, Irmgard Beck, a girl from Germany. They lived modestly and, despite Irmgard giving birth to a handicapped child, the family managed to sustain itself. Irmgard was aware that Albert was highly sexed and tried to avoid intercourse for fear of having another handicapped baby. However, a healthy boy was born and Albert appeared to become a conscientious family man, liked and appreciated by colleagues and his boss. He was also known to be an outrageous braggart, which perhaps led the police to later disbelieve his claims to be the Strangler. 

Anna Slesers, a seamstress and devout churchgoer was the first victim to be murdered on the evening of 14th June 1962. She lived on her own in a modest brick house apartment on 77 Gainsborough Street in Boston's bedsit land. Her son Juris was meant to call by to pick her up for a memorial service. When he discovered her body in the bathroom with a cord around her neck tied in a bow, Juris assumed she had committed suicide. Homicide Detectives James Mellon and John Driscoll found her in an obscene state; nude and stripped of dignity. She had been sexually assaulted. The apartment looked as though it had been ransacked with Anna's purse and contents strewn on the floor. Despite what appeared to be a robbery, a gold watch and pieces of jewellery were left behind. The police settled on the hypothesis that it was a botched burglary. 

Just under 3 weeks later on 28th June 1962, 85 year old Mary Mullen was also found murdered in her home. 2 days later the body of 68 year old Nina Nichols was also discovered in the Brighton area of Boston. Again, it appeared to be a burglary despite valuable silver having been left untouched. The ransacking didn't seem to make sense to detectives. Nina was also found in a state of undress, her legs wide open and her stocking tops tied in a bow. 

Then, on the same day a second body was discovered a few miles north of Boston in the suburb of Lynn. Helen Blake was a 65 year old divorcee. Her murder was more gruesome. She had suffered lacerations to her vagina and anus. Again the bow trademark was evident; this time made from tying her bra around her neck. Like the previous crimes, the scene appeared to be a burglary. After this brutal slaying the penny dropped that what Boston had in its midst was a psychotic serial killer. 

Police Commissioner Edmund McNamara cancelled all police leave due to the severity of the situation and a warning went out via the media to Boston's female population. They were advised to lock their doors and be cautious of strangers. It wasn't long before Edmund's fears were realised. A 4th brutal slaying took place at 7 Grove Garden in Boston's West End on 19th August. The victim was 75 year old widow Ida Irga. Again she had been strangled. She lay on her back on the floor wearing a brown nightdress, which was ripped and exposed her body. Her legs were apart and resting on 2 chairs and a cushion had been placed under her buttocks. Again there was no sign of forced entry. Less than 24 hours later the body of Jane Sullivan was found not far from the previous victim at 435 Columbia Road in Dorchester. The 65 year old nurse had been murdered a week before and was found dead in the bathroom. She had been strangled by her own nylons. Terror spread throughout Boston with fears of another attack, but the Strangler wasn't to strike until 3 months later.