Chapter 2; A Hero?

“Whe…where am I?” asked Gailin.

          “You are in Sadowill, the village of darkness.” Hissed a voice.

          All Gailin could see were outlines of what looked like Dasowkh Thors, the shadow people. “Why can’t I see you?” asked Gailin

          “Because you are not of our realm.” Replied another in a gravelly voice.

          “Why am I here?”

          “You are here because you are a light elf and one of the last ones at that. You are also the son of Gathlor. You are a prince of the realm of the Duerin, and we need to speak to our Master.”

          “I may be his son but I have no idea what you’re talking about!” Gailin said.

          “Then perhaps I should explain.” Replied a Dasowkh Thor.

          “Please do.”

          “When the Duerin sent the Master to his infernal prison they had to make sure we could not free him so they transported him to another realm. We think he is in the realm of light. That is why they created the light elves. They were and are the only physical beings that could travel between realms. Fortunately for us a few elves were persuaded to join us. They tried to free the master but were stopped by the Duerin. The Duerin then decided to take the ability of realm travel from all but one family… yours! So we need you to free Master or we will kill you.” Explained the Dasowkh Thors

          “I don’t think I will be much help to you dead now will I?”

          “The little retch is right! We need him alive! Maybe a few years in servitude will persuade him.”

          “No please don’t hurt me!” Shouted Gailin

          “Who said anything about hurting you? All we are going to do is make you a slave. Driver! Oh there you are. Take him to the slave tower.”

          “Ish!” replied the slave driver

          The slave driver took Gailin to the slave tower which was more like a large room. There he was put in shackles and given a loin cloth to wear. He was then shoved into a ditch where he was to be working as a digger. The king of shadows was looking for a temple that he thought was in the desert. He started working right away and worked until long after dusk. When he finally stopped and went back the tower he met a Lorthin elf. His name was, Gilandor. He told Gailin what the shadow king’s plan was and told him how to act so he would not get killed. That night he couldn’t help miss his friend after all they had been his only family for a year and three mouths.

 The next morning was the same as the day before. Gailin stayed in the king’s service for 6 months when finally Gilandor trusted him enough to tell the legend of The Half Wizard. “I need to tell you something, Gailin.” Said Gilandor.

          “Okay.” Replied Gailin.

          “A legend, well we call it The Legend. The legend of The Half Wizard.

          Sometime after the war of the Duerin a wizard was walking in the forest and he met a light elf. Her name was, Melleath. They fell in love and got married and …

          “That was my great grandmother’s name!” exclaimed Gailin

          “I suspected as much. You have a mixed presence about you. Anyway back to the legend.”

           “They had a child named Gelnith. Was he your grandfather?”

           “Yes.”

          “It is said that a son of that line will be the one to help the Duerin kill Vailess and become ruler over the light elves.

          “You think this hero is me?!”     

          “Yes. It is said that the hero will be exposed to a terrible darkness. You have been exposed to the strongest dark power in this realm that we know of.

          “Is there a way to be sure?” asked Gailin

          “Fortunately, yes. The hero will be the only one who can…

          “I just realized something!” Exclaimed Gailin. ”I am a half wizard! That means that I should be able to communicate with the Duerin, and other wizards. I can get us out of here!”

          “NO! Do not try to get out, the legend says that the hero must find himself in the place of darkness. Explained Gilandor.

          “I do not want to be the hero! I can’t be the hero. I am just a light elf with no home, no family, and no future! I want to leave and find out if my grandfather is still alive!! That is how I got here. The Shadowthors grabbed me when I was looking for him near the lake. Now that I know he is a wizard and can help me I need to find him even more!” Shouted Gailin.

          “Very well. I suppose that our world will crumble under the foot of Vailess. Do you still wish to know how to tell if you are the hero?”

          “I suppose.” Said Gailin quietly.

          “The hero will be the only one who can kill the king of shadows.”

          “I don’t really want to do that.” replied Gailin.

          “Gailin, I know you don’t want to be the hero, but I really think you are. Even if you don’t.”

          “Well thanks but I’m…”

          At that moment Gailin happened to hear someone or something in his head speaking to him telling him that he needed to stay. Believing what the voice told him, Gailin said, “Okay, I will stay but only for three more months. After that I’m leaving to find my grandfather.”

          “Very well.” Replied Gilandor