Chapter 1: The Birth of a Hero

This story begins the small village of Lumuthis, or the village of light. Throughout the entire village ran an ear piercing scream. The scream was from a mother giving birth to her son.

           “Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!”

          “It will be ok just keep breathing.” Encouraged Gathlor the father of the baby.

          “I can’t!” screamed the mother

          “Your almost there! Push! There he is, my little boy. See?

          “……”

          “What’s wrong? Why are you so unhappy?”

          “…… because… I can’t… stay to…… care for him… … … good… bye… darling.” Replied the mom

          “Wait what shall be his name?” asked Gathlor

          “His name is… Gailin.”

          Unfortunately the mother died soon after she gave birth to the boy. The poor baby would not have a mother to care for him. Eight years later to the day the boy’s father died too, leaving him an orphan.

                                                *****

          “Come on you slow poke!” called Gailin to his friend, Wailiff

          “I don’t think we should be so far from the village.” Replied Wailiff nervously.

          “Don’t be such a worry wart! We’ll be fine.”

          “I don’t know.”

“Just come on ya big baby!” Teased Gailin.

          So off they rode, across the plains where Gailin grew up, to the edge of the desert. Suddenly a sharp shriek came from a dark figure on a horse in the distance. “I think we should get out of here!” said Wailiff

          “I think your right!” Gailin replied quickly.

          Three days later the two rode back into the lake town where Wailiff lived. “Mum we’re home.”

          “Oh good just in time for supper.”

          “Mom you’ll never guess where we went today and what we saw!”

          “What?”

          “We went to the desert…” started Wailiff.

          “WHAT!!!! I thought I told you NEVER to go there!!!!” Scolded his mother.

          “I’m sorry it was my fault. I teased him and made him fallow me there.” explained Gailin

          “Anyway… we saw a shadow in the desert and we heard a loud shriek. Mom?”

          “Yes?”

          “Why do we have to stay away from the desert?” asked the courios Wavelin elf

          “I suppose it is time I told you the old story and our history.

          Many years ago, in the 500th year of the 1st age, a red mage was walking in the desert when he found a rare flower called the Suminince.  This flower was the last ingredient to a summoning spell that would summon a new Duerin. Unfortunately the mage accidentally added an ingredient to the spell that created an evil Duerin, Vailess. Vailess was able to possess the unsuspecting mage and make him his servant. The two built an army and attacked the Duerin. All the tribes fought against the evil army. Wailiff, your father fought in that war and never came home or was found dead so we can only assume that he was captured or, he turned against the Duerin of light. That, my son is why I don’t want you near the desert. I don’t want you to turn too. The desert does evil things to all who enter.”

          “That was an amazing story, but I can’t believe that Wailiff will turn evil by going near the desert. Maybe into the desert but we all know not to go in there.” Gailin said

          The three talked and ate for another hour or two then they went to bed and slept until the morning. When Wailiff and his mother awoke they went to wake Gailin but he was gone.