ZEN STORIES 1

Muddy Road

Tanan and Ekido were once travelling together down a muddy road. A heavy rain was falling.

Coming around a bend, they met a lovely girl in a silk kimono and sash,

Unable to cross the intersection.

"Come on girl," said tanzan at once. Lifting her in her arms, he carried her over the mud.

Ekido did not speak again until the night when they reached a lodging temple. Then he no longer could restrain himself, "

We monks don't go near females," he told Tanzan, "especially not young and lovely ones. It is dangerous. Why did you do that?"

"I left the girl there," said Tanzan. "Are you still carrying her?"

Thirty years

A variation of this story also known as The Taste of Banzo's word.

A fellow went to z Zen master and said, "If I work very hard, how soon can I be enlightened?"

The Zen master looked him up and down and said "Ten years."

The fellow said, "No, listen, I mean if I really work hard at it, how long—"

The zen master cut him off. "I'm sorry. I misjudged. Twenty years."

"Wait!" said the young man, "You don't understand! I'm—"

"Thirty years" said the Zen master

A Cup of tea

Nan-in a Japanese master during the Meiji era (1868-1912)

Received a university professor who came to inquire about Zen.

Nan-in saved tea. He poured his visitor's cup full, and then kept on pouring.

The professor watched the overflow until he no longer could restrain himself. 'It is overfull, No more will go in!'

'Like this cup,' Nan-in said. 'You are full of your own opinions and speculations. How can I show you Zen unless you first empty your cup?'

Open Your Own Treasure House

Daiju visited the master Baso in china. Baso asked: 'What do you seek?'

'Enlightenment,' Replied Daiju

'You have your own treasure house, Why do you seek outside?' Baso asked.

Daiju inquired : 'Where is my treasure house?'

Baso answered : 'What you me asking me is your treasure house.'

Daiju was enlightened! Ever after he urged his friends:

'Open your own treasure house and use those treasures.'

Calling Card

Keichu, the great Zen teacher of the Meiji era, was the head of tofuku, a cathedral in kyoto. One day the governor of kyoto called upon him for the first time.

His attendant presented the card of the governor, which read: Kitagaki, Governor of kyoto.

'I have no business with such fellow.' said Keichu to his attendant. Tell him to get out of here.'

The attendant carried the card back with apologies. 'that was my error,' said the governor and with a pencil he scratched out the words Governor of kyoto. 'Ask your teacher again.'

'Oh, is that Kitagaki?' Exclaimed the teacher when he saw the card. 'I want to see that fellow.'

Everything is Best

When Banzan was walking through a market he overheard a conversation between a butcher and his customer.

'Give me the best piece of meat you have,' said the customer.

'Everything in my shop is the best,' replied the butcher.

'You cannot find here any piece of meat that is not the best.'

At these words Banzan became enlightened.

Inch Time Foot Gem

A lord asked Takuan, a Zen teacher to suggest how he might pass the time. He felt his day very long attending his office and sitting stiffly to receive the homage of others.

Takuan wrote eight Chinese characters and gave them to the man:

Not twice this day

Inch time foot gem

This day will not come again.

Each minute is worth a priceless gem.