When in Rome pt 1

To say she was nervous right now was an understatement, Rachel realised when she arrived at the airport with Adam a week later.

It was daunting enough that she was going off to some foreign country, but they would also be getting on a plane to reach their destination.

Having never experienced it before, Rachel was filled with a certain anxiety .

Adam on the other hand, was an old hand at flying out to different countries and places. So she was thankful at least he knew what he was doing. Which was why she found herself sticking close to him in the crowded busy airport.

As they sat in airport café, waiting on their plane to come in, She could not eat or drink anything herself because of the nerves in her stomach, so she watched Adam as he sat eating salad roll, which he washed downed with a cup of coffee

He told her about his previous visits to Rome; how he it was one of his favourite cities.

Then he mentioned some of the places he planned to take her over the week. But Rachel was only half paying attention to his words. She still a little overwhelmed by the whole experience, and trying hard to concentrate on appearing more relaxed than she felt

It was only when they were sitting together in the plane a little while later, before take of, he glanced at her and noticed how pale and tense she seemed, and the way her fingers tightly clutched the arm rest.

"This is your first time flying, ?" he suddenly realised, "It is alright, don't be so terrified, it's not so bad really once you take of, that is. There is no difference really than being in a bus or car or train," he then tried to reassure her

Rachel managed a tight smile, "Maybe, but buses, cars, and trains are not up in the sky a long way from the ground. So forgive me if I find it difficult to agree with your comparison"

"You will be alright, I won't let anything happen to you," he told her reaching out and taking her free hand in his.

Rachel realised that this was their first physical contact. But she was going to have to get used to it since they were going to get married, then it would be get even more intimate than just holding hands.

So even if it did feel a little strange at first, she made no attempt to pull her hand away.

Unfortunately, her previous experience with Gary had made her wary of men, Which was why she had more or less avoided seeking any kind of relationships with the male sex in the last few years.

But despite this, she found the firm grip of Adam's hand, somewhat comforting under the circumstances once she started to get used to it.

The plane started to move, getting faster. The engines roared as it speeded up along the runway to take off. Adam didn't bat an eyelid as Rachel's grip on his hand tightened considerably, and she felt sure it had to be painful.

It was only when they were safely up in the air she dared herself to relax a little, feeling embarrassed because she still had tight hold of his fingers. "Sorry," she apologised cringing slightly, and loosening her hold on his hand.

"It's alright," Adam replied wryly, flexing his fingers a little, "I believe there is some feeling coming back into them again, so they are not broken"

Despite her anxiety, she giggled at his remark, " You know, that was just the weirdest sensation when the plane took off, it was a bit scary. But I think I am ok now," she then told him

"I told you it would be alright," Adam smiled. " Why don't you take a peek out the window, I am sure you will enjoy the view," he then suggested

Rachel nervously obeyed, then gasped as she realised how high up she was. The ground below looked like a huge green patchwork quilt from a distance, then she realised they were in the clouds and flying above them.