Chapter 40 - The Battle of Mandalore Begins

We have finished a second tribute for Vader on our YT channel. Check it out if you're interested. :P No spaces in the link: youtu . be / TrRylvLR0fE

~ Amina Gila

My gaze darts around the room as we stand in front of the Council. All of the past few times I've been in here have been under bad tidings, and I feel like the result of this visit isn't going to be any different. One thing I really don't miss about the Temple is being in this room, that's for sure.

"We have discovered that Darth Maul is on Mandalore," Obi-Wan begins, "Bo Katan Kryze has approached us asking for Republic assistance in capturing him."

Silence falls over the Council room as they seem to be debating mentally. Finally, Windu speaks up. "We cannot get involved. That is neutral space, and it would drag the Republic into yet another conflict. Besides, it would violate long-standing treaties."

"But if Maul joined up with Sidious, he could help in the formation of the Empire!" I retort, the image from my vision of Maul leading the march on the Temple flashing through my mind. We need to capture him.

"We have no reason to believe that he is still working for Sidious," Windu replies, "Besides, you three cannot go. You are supposed to be on leave, not chasing after Sith Lords." His implied reprimand that I should never have left the planet to begin with is unspoken but clear.

My eyes narrow angrily. So, what? He wanted me to just sit back and watch as the Jedi were destroyed? "Besides, Maul might know who Sidious is. It would give us evidence, a reason to take him down!"

"The Force led Ahsoka there for a reason," Anakin argues, "We cannot ignore it, nor let Maul remain free. The Mandalorians have asked for our help."

"Since Maul is in control on Mandalore, it is no longer neutral," Obi-Wan adds. "It is our duty to stop him and free the planet."

Windu still doesn't look happy, but from Yoda's expression, I can sense he agrees with us, though there's nothing he can do. "Give you authority to go to Mandalore, we cannot," Yoda warns before dismissing us.

"We have to help them!" I insist the moment the doors slide shut behind us.

"There's nothing we can do without defying the Council," Obi-Wan sighs.

"If that's what we have to do," I retort, "Before I left Coruscant, I had a vision. Sidious sent Maul to the Temple to destroy the Jedi. If we don't go to Mandalore to stop him, we'll be waiting here for him to come to us, and by that point, it'll be too late!"

"We have to go," Anakin agrees with me immediately, worry evident in his blue eyes.

"We could be expelled from the Order if we did that," Obi-Wan points out. "Sidious is still here on Coruscant, and we need to keep close track of him from here. If we leave the Order, we'd be in even more danger."

"We can't just leave Darth Maul on Mandalore," I insist, "We have to help the people. It's what the Jedi are supposed to do!"

Anakin looks between us, frowning. It's clear he's not happy about the situation. "Someone has to go," he says with enough reluctance to make me slightly warry, "And I have an idea that might work."

***

"Sorry. Forgot to bring you jetpacks," Rex apologizes with a grin as we fly in a gunship towards the surface of Mandalore. Anakin and I are here, having taken Rex and the 501st with us, despite being ordered otherwise. We've left Obi-Wan behind to protect Padme just in case something happens. Besides, Anakin doesn't want him anywhere near Maul. After agreeing to go, Bo-Katan gave both of us Mandalorian armor which cover our Jedi robes. It looks slightly strange to see Anakin wearing blue, but I can't help but think it fits.