Chapter 20 - Ewoks

We arrive at the end of a walkway high up in the trees, at the end of which is a village made out from mud huts, all interlinked between the thick treetops. The procession continues into the village, where many other Ewoks are scurrying about, some of them obviously babies from how tiny they are. They're adorable, but I'd find them much cuter if not for the situation. Most of them hurry back to their huts as we come into view. We're carried to what must be the village square before the procession comes to a halt.

They lean the poles Artoo, Chewbacca, Luke, and I are tied to against the trees and carry Han to the center, lying his pole vertically over what looks like a barbecue pit. Oh, great. It looks like Han is going to be their dinner tonight. We need to do something, and fast. Probably start by talking some sense into Threepio, which is going to be a hard thing to do. The droid is... not meant for intelligence. No offence to Anakin.

They gently set Threepio's litter throne not far away from the pit, giving the droid a good view of everything that's happening. He watches with complete fasciation. Seriously? I guess this is why you don't become friends with protocol droids. The rest of us are far less than interested, to say the least. It's then that I suddenly notice a familiar force presence not far away. Leia's. Don't tell me she was captured by the Ewoks too.

"I have a really bad feeling about this," worries Han.

"So do I," growls Chewbacca, trying and failing to pull free from his bonds.

Just then, all the Ewoks stop bustling about as another one steps into view. He walks between us, staring intently at each of us before going over to Threepio. He then begins speaking to him while another Ewok examines our lightsabers – which I'm seriously beginning to consider snatching and putting an end to this. Although there's no way I could do that without killing many of them which I don't want to do. Patience was never my strong point, but I guess I'll have to practice it for now while waiting for a better opportunity to do something. Never mind that there's this nagging feeling from the Force to just let events play out for now, and I've learned to follow the Force.

After the Ewok finishes his declaration, the others return to bustling about, this time collecting wood and piling it under Han.

"What did he say?" Han demands finally, an increasingly panicked expression on his face as he looks to Threepio for an explanation.

"I'm rather embarrassed, General Solo," frets Threepio, "But it appears you are to be the main course at a banquet in my honor." Perfect, just perfect. We're to be eaten in honor of a droid. Who knew a mission to deactivate a shield generator could end with this?

As if in response, drums start beating around the square as their celebration begins. Just then, from out of the main hut walks the last person I except to see – walking freely anyway. Leia. She's wearing an animal-skin dress. Her eyes immediately fall on us and widen in horror.

"Leia!" Han, Luke, and I exclaim at once.

"Oh!" she exclaims in alarm, stepping towards us, but the Ewoks block her path with raised spears.

"Your Royal Highness," Threepio greets her. Chewbacca growls, and Artoo beeps in greeting as well.

Leia sighs as she looks at the Ewoks, before turning to Threepio. "But these are my friends. Threepio, tell them they must be set free."

Threepio begins speaking to the Ewoks but they shake their heads in refusal and continue piling wood in the barbecue. Leia frantically looks between all of us, trying to figure out what she should do.

"Somehow, I get the feeling that didn't help us very much," groans Han.

"Threepio, tell them if they don't do as you wish, you'll become angry and use your magic," commands Luke.