silenced confessions (soon to be spoken)

part one of snf week 2021 :] idk how many there will be but i do also post them on my ao3: dnfcure
--

In what ways does one perceive love? In what way does one perceive the concept of romance? In what way . . .

"George!"

He looks up from his laptop, annoyed already by the interruption. He sighs heavily, saving his file and turning around to see the chestnut haired person sitting on his bed. Their eyes are glimmering hopefully. "What," he deadpans. "Can't you see I'm busy?"

"I know." The being groans. "I was getting bored without your company."

"Sapnap, I can't fuck around with you all day." He frowns. He frowns because he wants to, but he also needs to finish this damn paper before it's due. He does not want to flunk out of college, especially since it being his first year and all.

"I know." Sapnap sighs. "I was just bored. Everyone's out for spring break and we're stuck here."

"Yeah," the brunette begins to turn back to his desk. "And who's fault is that?" He calls over his shoulder.

"Hey!" The other shouts in defense. "It's not my fault that you wanted to stay to finish your poetry shit."

"Actually," George begins to correct them. "It is your fault. You're the one who wanted to keep me company, I didn't mind whether you left or not, but you insisted."

He hears the shuffling of feet but doesn't move until a pair of slender arms wrap around his shoulders and a warm heat tickles his neck. His breath hitches. "Why would I want to leave my absolute favourite person alone for three weeks?" Sapnap whispers into his ear, sending chills down his spine. He wants to give into this so badly, but he's not so sure he's allowed to. It could ruin everything he had with the individual.

"God," George inhales sharply. "You're so full of shit. Now get off of me, yeah?"

Sapnap sighs, disappointment prominent by the sounds of it. "Alright, whatever." They pull away, although hesitantly, not wanting to give up the feeling of the brunette's cooling body. "I'll be taking a walk, yeah?"

George regrets his choice of rejection, but he may have mistaken it in the first place. "Okay." He frowns, making sure that the other is unaware of his disappointment with their choices. He knows it won't just be a walk. He knows they will be out all night and come back overly intoxicated. He does not look foreword to sitting over the tile of the bathroom floor as his best friend pukes out their guts. "Just don't be out too late, alright?"

"Never am!" Although it's obviously a lie. He has quite literally never led up to his so called "promise." The chestnut pats his shoulder. Friendly and platonic. George's frown deepens. "I lo --" George's ears perk. Sapnap snaps his mouth shut. "I'll see you later," he says hurriedly before walking to the exit. He stops for a moment contemplating whether or not this is the best decision. If he confessed it couldn't go all that horribly, could it? Well, then again it could end in absolute havoc. He could be rejected. George could turn out to be homophobic and hate his guts for the feelings he'd grown to have. He would be stuck with the brunette for the rest of the semester and his friendship would go down in runes. He's not sure if he wants that. No, he doesn't want that. "Bye," he mutters.

"Bye --" George is cut of by the slam of the wooden door. He groans, throwing his head into the palms of his increasingly shaky hands. Another long night of regret and silenced confessions.

--

He must have fallen asleep because he jumps awake to the banging of a door. The door to his dorm. "Sapnap," he mutters, too lazy to lift his head. "Open the door . . ." He closes his eyes once more and is about to drift back to sleep until the loud noise comes back. He sits up, stretches, and looks at the time.