O'Malley's family restaurant part 2

When our food arrived, Calvin thanked Millie for me. I picked at my food and stared down at my shoes. Calvin pretended not to notice. We never fought. We would have squabbles, and this was one of them. Calvin was always so patient with me. He had a good heart and took good care of me. But I wasn't an easy kid to look after. I often wonder if that's what got my father so angry. I was extremely stubborn. I was reluctant to anybody who wasn't Calvin. I had trust issues from growing up in a home where I didn't feel safe. I came off as cold a lot of the time, and my brother was usually the only one who could comfort me. But even he sometimes got fed up.

"I'm going to the bathroom." I spoke for the first time in half an hour. Calvin just nodded his head, taking a sip of his drink. I slid out of the vinyl booth and made my way to the back. I locked myself in a stall and stood against the wall. I don't know how long I was in there. I just needed to be away from that table.

When I returned, however, Calvin was talking to Millie and who I assumed was her husband, Ted. He was a bigger man, with a few gray hairs still clinging to his balding head. His greasy apron hung over khaki pants and a green flannel shirt. They were all laughing about something, Calvin stopping to cough now and again. I walked over to the table as quietly as I could. Calvin looked up at me and smirked.

"Well, speak of the devil." He joked, motioning for me to come sit by him. I sat on his lap, like I used to do when I was younger. He must have forgiven me, or at least have been faking it in front of the O'Malley's. I didn't care. I clung to my brother tightly.

"I've been wondering what brought you kids all the way up here." Millie said suddenly, her unsettling smile growing wider. "We don't get many visitors up here."

"We're driving up to Florida, to visit some old friends." Calvin replied. "I'm glad that we found this place, though." Millie glanced at Ted. He blinked, his expression changing to one of pleasure. They stayed silent for a moment, as if contemplating an answer. I clutched Calvin's jeans in my hand.

"We're a bit in the middle of nowhere, I guess," Ted chuckled hoarsely. He was missing a few teeth. The remaining ones in his mouth were all yellow. I turned to look out the window. I watched the truck as the three of them continued to talk.

"Well, we'd really like to thank you folks for your kind hospitality. How much do I owe you?" Calvin asked, reaching into his pocket for his wallet. Millie shook her head.

"No. It's on the house." When my brother tried to protest, she put a bony finger to his lip. He smiled in gratitude, getting up to leave. I jumped off of his lap gently and was just about to reach for the door, when Ted jumped menacingly in my way.

"Hey, what do you kids think you're doing? You can't go driving out now. It's nearly one o' clock in the morning." I wouldn't know. There were no clocks or signs of time anywhere in the diner. It was like we were in the Twilight zone. I glanced worriedly at Calvin, trying to signal him to keep walking.

"You two look like you've been driving all day. I don't think it would be wise to be behind the wheel when you're tired. Come on in the back. We've got a nice little motel where you kids can stay until morning." I froze. There was no way in hell that I was spending another second with those creeps.

"That's alright," I tried to object. "We'll be fine." But my brother wasn't so sure.

"I don't know, Laurel. I'm really tired, and you're still underage. I don't want to put our lives at risk by falling asleep at the wheel." Calvin said feebly. I shook my head and grabbed his hand. He was stronger than me, though. I got pulled back onto the checkered floor.

"Calvin!" I tried to object. But he ignored me, and walked back to Millie.

"I think we'll take a room for tonight." He smiled, pushing me behind his back. Millie grinned and winked at her husband.