Who Will Save Me Now? Chapter 9

Edited March 23, 2011  2:01 PM  (Sorry if you've already read this Chapter once. It needed major improvement)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alone. Wandering.

The familiar fog is all around me now, and it is just me and my thoughts.

I'm a witch.

This realization is frightening, but it does not surprise me. My mind drifts back to all of the strange, unexplained occurrences that have happened since my arrival in Storm City. Doors slamming on their own accord, and then, these dreams and nightmares, haunting my wake as well as my sleeping hours. The images of the dark figure never leaving me.

I remember my dreams from when I was little. They predicted my mother's death. Who's to say that the same won't apply to me?

I picture my mother's cold lifeless body. I don't want to meet the same fate as her.

My mind immediately jumps to conclusions. My mother must have been a witch too. Chase said that the gene can skip generations, but somehow I know that it's true. Besides, the gene couldn't have come from my father because...

No. I quickly push the thought from my mind. If Chase and Rosemary were to know the truth, they would never speak to me again.

All of a sudden, my body drops, falling down through the air. With a crack I hit the ground and my knees buckle beneath me. I crumble to the floor.

Hastily I try to get back up and cringe. A startling pain shoots up my right leg. 

With a shake of my head I try to push away the pain. Fog surrounds the ground as well. I peer around, squinting into the white haze.

"Hello?" I whisper. My words become lost in the air.

The fog starts to swirl around me. Harsh winds whip against my face and send a chill up my spine. Shuddering, I cross my arms to block out the cold.

Then just like that the fog clears, leaving behind a crystal clear night sky, glimmering blue waves, and me on a boat, drifting in the water out to sea. Not a town, building or person is in sight.

Slowly I spin around in a circle. I turn to my left and gasp, my forehead running into something hard. Instantly the pain my leg is replaced by a splitting headache. I groan when I see the cause. 

A wall.

Carefully I put a hand against it to steady myself and look down the long stretch of wooden boat deck. At about fifty feet away something moves.

For a moment I freeze and hold my breath. Then slowly I creep forward, pressing my body against the boat's cold, metal wall. My pulse picks up speed and my breathing staggers as I continue to move forward.

The dark figure appears on the boat.

I scream, stumbling backwards and falling on the ground. The man begins to walk towards me, his moves slow and deliberate. For a moment he pauses though, and turns his head to the left.

Suddenly a large black wolf jumps through an open doorway and tackles the figure to the ground with a loud thump. Growling and flashing its claws, the black wolf continues to attack until the man's body stills. The wolf pauses before walking over to me on the floor.

When it nears me, the wolf growls and stretches it legs. The body transforms. Its black fur begins to disappear from the paws, almost sinking back into its skin. The legs follow, leaving behind pale flesh. The body is next, every inch of fur disappearing quickly.

Then standing before me is Chase, dressed in shorts. Sweat glistens off his bare chest in the moonlight.

Clumsily I get up and run to Chase, engulfing him in a hug. Tears begin to pour down my cheeks and I sob uncontrollably into his shoulder, relieved.

His body tightens at my touch and he shoves me away. With a disturbed glance behind him he takes a step back. "Why are you here Silver?" he asks coldly. His voice is emotionless, like stone.

"I... I don't know..." I mutter, glancing around at the boat. It's a dream. Things aren't supposed to make sense, but then, I realize he isn't talking about the dream or the boat. He is asking why I came to Storm City. "It's not important," I say looking away.

He shakes his head. "But it does matter Silver," Chase growls. His tone shocks me, and I stare at him in disbelief. In the short time that I've known him, Chase has never been anything but kind to me. Someone I would want to get to know.

I hope this Chase stays in my nightmares.

"You haven't been telling the whole truth," he states plainly.

"I didn't know I was a witch when I met you!" I protest, incredulous that he would get mad over such a thing.

But he's not the real Chase, I remind myself again.

"That's not what I'm talking about. You may be a witch now, but you'll never really be one of us." Chase's gaze has grown dark, his startling blue eyes turning dark.

Then I understand what he is implying.

"That's not who I am anymore Chase. What he did is not who I am. Please don't jug me by my father's actions!"

I don't need to say anything further. Chase obviously knows my secret. His head snaps up at the word "father" and he stares at me with a look that could kill. Silent, but deadly...

I stay frozen, stunned. Each word that Chase says is like a knife in my heart. Even though I remind myself over and over that this is just a dream, it doesn't change the effect they have on me.

Quickly he turns and begins to head back down the deck. "I've heard enough," he yells, "You can have her!"

Chase's words knock the breath out of my lungs. "Who... Who are you talking to?" I ask wearily, glancing around, just now noticing that the air is becoming thick again with fog.

I can barely make out Chase's form before he turns and says to me, "That was the last time that I am ever going to save you." Then he disappears into the thickening haze.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry it has taken me so long to post Chapter 9. I have edited it slightly since posting it last night, but I know it still needs a lot of correcting.

Anyways, I hope you liked it. Please continue to read this story. I promise the next chapter will be better (this was kind of a transition/filler).

As always I appreciate the votes and fans, but even if you don't think it was good enough, still comment! Feedback is welcomed.

Thanks!