Prologue

Okay before I start the story, this is a preview into the next book. I thought it would interest you guys to see a preview of what scenes the next book will consist of. This will NOT ruin the first book. I thought this scene was pretty cool and I thought I should let you see how the action will play out. So please don't disregard this part of the story, it's just little snip-it.

Hope you enjoy and tell me what you think of it!:D

___________________________________________________________________________

Prologue:

The prison's halls reeked of mildew, murky water and waste. I tried my best not to scrunch my nose up in disgust as I followed the Queen's guard through the never ending stone hallways. I was extra careful to keep my eyes on the ground, if I faltered now it would mean certain death.

The guard's hand was firm on my elbow, making me wince as we traveled further into the dark, cold prison. I swallowed hard and focused on his foot falls which were heavy compared to my light tread. And when we rounded another corner I had to fight the impulse to reach into my skirts and end the bastard's life. My instincts were on high alert and I couldn't help but feel trapped.

I shook my clouded thoughts away, I knew I needed to follow through with the original plans, but it was hard to concentrate with his fingernails digging into my arm. I was trained to be brutal towards anyone who touched me offensively and every cell in my body screamed to slide the blade between his ribs.

The sounds of shrieks and moans bounced off the cold walls, pulling me from my babbled thoughts. They sounded inhuman and made me want to shrink back and flee this morbid place.

The only thing that kept me from doing so was his warning: One mistake and it could cost you your life. Then all of this would have been for nothing.

I silently cursed myself at the reminder and wished that I hadn't cut him off from this mission.

The dagger hitting my upper thigh felt like a dead weight with both the closeness of the guard and the limited opportunity to escape. I'd give anything to feel the cold metal sliding through flesh and bone and piercing the thick meat of his heart.

I swallowed hard and let out a small exasperated yelp when he yanked me to a stop in front of one of the many cellars. He gestured towards the small cave like structure enclosed with iron bars. I took a step towards it and noticed that the thin pieces of metal were turning rusty from the moist air.

Good to know that the only thing protecting the guards from the prisoners were frail, crumpling bars; I thought bitterly to myself.

Careful not to give myself away, I peered into the dark, dank cellar. It was small, providing enough room to pace twice both ways but left with barely enough space to feel comforted. The cot that was shoved up against the molding wall stank of human waste and huddled at the far corner of it was Piers.

The guard let go of me and stood still to observe the "siblings" reunion. Ignoring the man's breath on the back of my neck, I stepped closer to the bars and placed my hands on its ice cold surface. Not wanting to show how disgusted and scared I was, I pressed my face between the bars and glared at the heap of rags still curled against the wall on the cot.

"Piers? It's Maudlin." I lied. When there was no reply, I pressed my face harder against the rusted poles, hoping I looked frightened. "Please, I have a limited amount of time." I put on a pleading tone, praying that it would catch his attention.

To my relief the torn, tattered rags shifted. He peered over at me, one silver eye peeking out of dirty blonde hair. His expression full of half hope and confusion. My heart raced, if he gave my identity away I'd never get out of here alive.

Slowly, he rose from his dirty cot and stumbled his way over to me. He looked worse than I remembered. His skin was dirty and no doubt covered in waste and mites. And the rags that hung loosely on his body showed how much weight he lost from spending his days in the prison.

He smiled at me and I tried not to flinch; his teeth had turned from a pearly-white to a sickly yellow. And he smelled foul as he approached to stop inches from the bars.

It took everything in me not to step away from the cell. I held my breath, afraid that if I started gagging, I'd pass out from the stench.

The guard cleared his throat, making me wince. "Your sister requested to see you."

Piers cocked his head to the side, his devilish grin spreading as he studied me with intense eyes. "Is that so? I don't remember your hair being that dark, Alicia Bayle..." He sneered at the last part.

My heart launched to my throat at the mention of my real name. It had been so long since I heard it on someone else's lips.

I knew this wasn't going to work. The plan was to get in and out without raising suspicion. But I'm sure it was supposed to go more smoothly than this.

I could feel the air as it stirred behind me followed with the sound of metal sliding against metal when the guard retrieved his sword from its sheathe. I looked up from under the hood and hair that draped my face carefully. My eyes met Piers' and I smiled; he always thought he was the clever one.

His smirk faltered.

The second I heard the guard shout for help, I reached into my dark skirts and pulled out the dagger that I had been longing to use since I caught sight of this place. With practiced skill, I turned around. The guard didn't get his sword fully out of its sheath before I sent my weapon spinning through the air.

I watched the flashing silver topple end over end before it sunk itself deep into his hand. The guard let out a scream that vibrated against the hallways' walls before falling to the ground, his sword clattered against the stone after him.

I smiled as I approached where he now lay curled against the wall supporting his wounded hand. Kicking his sword away from him, I knelt down and placed a hand on his chin. Without looking, I ripped the dagger out.

His eyes widened as he watched the blade come closer to his throat. Fear masked his features as he began to stumble for an apology he thought might get me to change my mind. The girl that was born inside of me smiled as she watched the man whither in pain.

She laughed and allowed the blade to bite into his throat. He let out a helpless whimper and shook as she leaned closer to him. "Where are your keys?" She asked as she watched the slow, thick blood trickle down his throat.

I could see myself smiling in the man's dilated pupils as he fished in his clad pants and pulled out a silver ring full of brass metal. They clanked together as his hand violently shook with fear. Snatching them away, I acted as if to get up. The man let out a sigh seconds before I turned around and knocked him out with the hilt of the dagger.

Piers let out a strangled cry for help seconds later. At this point he knew I wasn't going to save him. I laughed as I tightened my grip on the handle of my second dagger just as the thunder of feet sounded from down the hallway. "Time to go." I said to Piers before throwing the set of keys his way. We were at a dead end so I wasn't worried about him running.

I bent down quickly to retrieve the fallen guard's sword and faced the handful of trained guards halting to a skidded stop in front of me.

The only sound was the heavy breathing of the guards and the jingle of the keys as Piers watched the scene unfold with both fear and fascination.

I smiled at my enemies, one down eight to go, I thought just before they charged towards me. I didn't need to be afraid, assassins were better at surviving.