15 - The Lallybroch Christmas Eve Dinner Party of 1746

December 24th 1746

Eira Fraser's POV

I woke up that morning how all women should wake up - with their husband by their side. I beamed as I turned over in bed and laid my arm over his body. He must have crept into the house at dawn to be with us on Sowans Eve - or Christmas, as we usually called it.

"Hmm," I hummed in delight as he began to stir. Poor thing, I thought, I shouldn't imagine it's very comfortable in that cave. He must be so desperate for a decent night's sleep. "Good morning, my love."

"Good morning, Mo Chridhe." Jamie turned over in bed and opened his eyes.

I fell in love with him all over again.

Jamie and I kissed, ignoring the fact that we hadn't yet brushed our teeth - something which Claire had been very particular about.

The baby in my belly kicked and Jamie felt it as we were pressed up against each other. He put a hand out to feel it and grinned as it kicked again.

"That's our babe in there." He said, almost to himself.

I nodded, "it is."

We wanted to love each other as we so rarely got the chance to, but the door opened and our two children ran in, wide smiles on their faces as they got into the bed between us, separating us. 

"Careful, careful!" Jamie said as he tickled Lily Ellen, who was closest to him, "mind yer mother and her belly."

Wee Jamie snuggled his body against the baby and asked, "is he awake, mummy?" He was convinced that the new baby was a boy. Lily Ellen didn't much mind since she already had a sister in Margaret and Katherine.

I told wee Jamie, "aye, he's been kicking a fair bit a'ready."

"Can I feel?"

I put my hand on my belly and applied some pressure in places that I had learnt would trigger the baby to move or to kick and punch the inside of me.

Sure enough, it began to kick. Wee Jamie felt it and screamed in delight.

Jamie, who had never seen his son act like that before, couldn't help but smile. "What do ye think we should call the new baby?" He asked the two children.

"Jamie! Jamie!" Wee Jamie exclaimed, "after me!"
Both my husband I laughed, "we canna name the bairn after ye, wee'un, for ye're named for yer father, and we canna have three Jamies, can we?"

Wee Jamie furrowed his eyebrows, "this is true." He agreed.

"Mummy, is the baby boy or girl?" Lily Ellen asked with her lisp, making her words difficult to understand at times.

"We dinna ken yet, Lil." Jamie told his daughter, "do ye have a name for both?"

"Alice."

"And for a boy?" I asked her.

She thought for a few seconds and then replied, "no."

Jamie and me laughed, the two children joining in once they realised we found them funny.

* * * * *

"Christ, Jenny I feel like a whale in this dress." I looked at myself in the mirror and frowned. I was huge, considering that I was only seven months pregnant or so. She was helping me to dress as I could no longer do it myself.

"Ye dinna look like a whale, if it's any consolation to ye." She smiled at me in the mirror, "ye look radiant."

I thanked her even though I disagreed.