14 - The Rightful Heir

December 20th 1948

Third Person POV

Almost as soon as Elizabeth had told her that Jamie had made it off of the battlefield at Culloden, Claire had been planning her way back to the past. She had made a dress for herself, ensured that she had money and accurate maps, as well as sandwiches and breakfast oat bars for the trip from Craigh Na Dun to Lallybroch.

On the day of her leaving, she got up early and bathed, making sure to wash her hair and comb it. She had taken everything that was precious to her and packaged it, ready to be sent across to Frank, who had moved to America. She didn't know what he would do with it, but she had also written him a letter, and she hoped that he would have children in the future who he could give things like her jewellery too.

She read through her letter to Frank one final time.

Dearest Frank,

When we said goodbye last, I thought that would be the last time - but I have since learned of some very shocking news, and for this reason, I must say goodbye again. I cannot confide in you, as much as I would like to - I want so badly to tell you the entire truth of my disappearance, but I fear that you would hate me for lying to you and ending our marriage for it, or for not telling you in the first place... so I will not tell you.

But I am leaving, and this is our final goodbye. By the time you receive this, I will be back amongst family and friends again, though I know that you do not understand what I mean by this.

I have left the house to a descendant of its original owners - Elizabeth Fraser - yes, of James Fraser. She was my housekeeper, and whilst she is young, I have complete confidence in her. I have written her a letter saying goodbye too, and left strict instructions that, should you ever stop by, you are to be given the best treatment and all free of charge.

And finally, I want to apologise to you, Frank. I disappeared loving you, and I came back a changed woman. I am sorry that we did not work out and that we did not last. For many years, I saw a complete future with you, but alas it was not meant to be. A small part of me, however, will always love you and want the best of you. I am sending you everything that was ever precious to me, and hope that one day you will have a daughter or somebody to give it all to.

Eternally,

Claire

She wiped her eyes, tears threatening to spill onto the paper and ruin her words. It was somehow everything that she wanted to say and not enough, but Claire didn't have enough time to rewrite it or ponder on her words. She had to set to work on Elizabeth's letter.

Elizabeth's mother, Claire had learned since she had begun working for her, had died in childbirth with her, and her father had been hit by a car four years previously. The young girl had become something of a surrogate daughter to Claire in just under a month - Claire thought the world of her. Elizabeth was as important to Claire as Frank was.

Dearest Elizabeth,

I am sorry to have to tell you this through pen and paper and would have liked to do so in person, but there is simply not enough time, tears nor words for me to do so. By the time that you read this letter, I will have gone. I cannot tell you where I am going, other than that I am going home.

I will not be back, and will not need Lallybroch or the money that it brings in - I have left the house and the lands around it to you, the deed is in the office in the top drawer. I do hope that you love this house like I do, and that you do with it whatever makes you happy because that is all that I want for you.