Rescued

After catching one last glance of myself in the mirror, I turned around and stalked to the other side of the small room.

I found this house a couple of months after I left home. It was a one room house l, hidden in foliage. The only way in was a screen door and window, both covered in foliage as well. In the room was a dirt floor and a plain cream colored wall. Or at least that use to be its color. Now it was a sickly yellow with mystery stains and mold growing every day. On one side of the room lay a make shift kitchen, consisting of a oven, stove, and sink. In the sink was a badly cracked mirror with no frame holding it together. Across from the kitchen were my belongs. That consisted of two sets of cloths, a sleeping mat and a couple of blankets, and a backpack. In the backpack was a hunting knife, and my mothers necklace, that was given to her by her mother, who was given it by their mother and so on. Before she died, it became mine.

Walking over I took the knife and strapped it to my thigh from a make shift knife holder made from a stripe of cloth and some thread. Packing my cloths in the backpack, I swing it over my shoulder and leave the house.

Slowly, I open the screen door wincing at its stupid creaky hinges. Turning to the woods, I take a quick glance around, looking and listening for any signs of life. Once it's clear nothing's out there, I get up and head out towards the lake.

It's a nice sunny day, and I can't help but smile, enjoying the warmth of the light on my skin. It's been days since the Suns been put. Must be good luck.

Swiftly walking, I make it to the lake a couple of minutes later. The lake is a deep blue, reflecting the sun and creating a fairytale look. I would love to come here more often, but it's to dangerous. While it is beautiful, it's surrounded by yards of open field, leaving anything near it in plain sight. If the Reds were to come by, I would practically be a sitting duck, begging to be shot.

Taking stock of my surrounding, I slowly walk into the clearing, getting ready to run at any minute. Once sure the area is vacant, I run up to the lake, and jump in with no hesitation. The feeling of the cold water was heaven unleashed. I couldn't help but laugh at the cool lapping at my skin, the water slowly washing away the dirt from my body.

Throwing my cloths off, I swim for a few moments more before going to the edge and getting dressed again in cleaner cloths.

I sit staring at the view with my feet in the water, letting the warm sun dry me. I don't know how long I sat their, drinking in the sun before I moved.

Quickly packing my now clean cloths I got up and made my way to the edge of the woods. I was only a few yards away when I heard the most dreadful thing in my life.

"Stop! In the name of the King we order you to surrender and come with us."

Wiping my head around, I catch the horrifying sight of four men dressed in red suits holding rifles running toward me. Great! This is just what I needed.

Dashing into the woods, I try to think up a plan of where to go. I know I can't go home, because they'll just follow me. So, naturally I run in the opposite direction. As the sounds of their shouts start to drift away, hope starts to fill my heart. Looking behind me, I smiled at the sight of empty woods.

Then, the worst thing possible happens. While looking behind me, my foot hits a small ditch and twist at an unnatural direction. Screaming out in pain I fall to the ground.

As I try to get back up, gritting my teeth in pain, the sound of the men become louder again. With my ankle, there was no way I was going to be able to outrun them.

Grabbing my knife, I face toward the sounds of the men, my back leaning against an old oak tree. Just as I was preparing myself to met them face to face, a hand shots down in front of my face.

"Grab my hand", whispers a deep voice.

Looking up, I try to see the face of the voice, but all I see is a hand shooting out of darkness.

"Well! Are you just gonna stand there! Take my hand!" It whispers again, it's voice filled with anxiousness.

Turning towards the woods, I know I won't have much time before the red's get here. Grabbing the hand, I let it pull me up into the tree. Just as I got settled on the branch, the four men break into the small clearing I was standing in only moments ago. Holding my breath, I watch them look for my trail.

Finally one of the men shout that they found something and the men all run towards the west. Further away from me.

After waiting a few more moments, I let myself look up to see my rescuer.