Broken

Xavier came downstairs and I was waiting for him already. He sat down in front of me. I barely acknowledged him.

          “Why did you let him in this house?” He asked.

          “I didn’t.” I replied back quickly. “I was closing the door and he just pushed it straight open.”

          “And then what happened?”

          I explained to Xavier what happened. He acted like I was lying to him when I wasn’t. Tears stung my eyes.

          “Carla has told you what you what he did to me, right?”

          “Yes, I’m aware.”

          “Then why are you acting like this is a big surprise?”

          Xavier didn’t respond.

          “That’s exactly what I thought.” I said as I got up and left.

          Xavier still sat at the table. I went upstairs and locked myself in my room. Why did life have to start going downhill from here? I sat down on my bed and began sobbing my eyes out into my hands. My phone buzzed and flashed next to me.

          Removing my face from my hands, I peeked over and saw it was from that same Unknown number. “Leave me alone! Why won’t you leave me alone?” I screamed and threw my phone into the wall.

          This day is horrible. The door to my room opened. “What in the world is going on?” Carla asked and she stared wide at me.

          I got my phone and put it back together. There were small cracks in the screen. The phone still turned on. I saw the text was still there. Carla came over and took the phone from me.

          “Who is this?” She asked worriedly.

          “I don’t know! That’s why I haven’t responded to any of its messages.”

          Grabbing my phone, I got my jacket and headed downstairs. I slammed the door behind me. I called Ryder and told him I was coming over. He said okay and I began walking over.

Ryder handed me some breakfast. I didn’t bother touching it.

          “You have to eat.”

          I glared at him. “I don’t want to leave here, too.”

          “Sorry.”

          My phone sat on the table. I picked it up and read the text.

From: Unknown

9:43 A.M

Don’t ever lie to parent figures

          Why couldn’t this guy just leave me alone? I sighed and put my phone down. This was completely awkward. Ryder clutched my hand in his. He could tell something was wrong.

          “Whoever this person is, he or she or its is watching me. I can’t keep walking around like everything is alright.”

          “Hey, hey,” Ryder let out a sweet smile. “Look at me. Whoever this person is, I won’t let him hurt you.”

          I perked up. “Do you mind if I stay with you for the day?”

          Ryder shook his head. “No problem.”