16

29.04.19

Was it shock that Summer felt? The numb from her heart to her bones, the glaze in her eyes? The way that she didn't feel as if there was anything happening, anything at all.

To Summer, it felt as though time was slipping past her, memories no longer making sense, for she now saw them in a different light; perhaps they were never hers.

Summer felt no need to do anything after reading the entry, instead sitting on the floor with a blank face. Perhaps too blank. Blank to the point of only pushing down her arising terror with being emotionless.

Summer sat on the floor of their bedroom for close to an hour with the tattered notebook resting in her hands. Duke began to grow worried as he watched his owner stare at the wall without moving for so long, the dog nudging his nose into her side.

Summer jolted from the small push, coming back to Earth for moment. She glanced at the small dog with a sad smile before speaking.

"I'm sorry bud, I'm so sorry," she whispered, her voice wavering as the reality of her world began to crash upon her weary shoulders.

Calum was gone.

Gone, and likely not willingly.

Summer was lost without Calum.

Lost, and unlikely to be found again.

A lot of the story of their life began to fall together like jigsaw pieces. Calum leaving after arguments, the arguments only so he could leave without suspicion.

Ashton jumping to Calum's defense when anyone said anything about his disappearances - though he was the first to hug Summer - was because he knew the reason.

Mitchy, who Summer had hated for years, had plenty to do with Calum's absence yet she didn't know what.

She knew so much, but so so little.

Why did Calum have to leave for this meetings without allowing his lover to be aware? What did Ashton have to do with any of it, why did he constantly defend his friend? And most importantly, what was Mitchy doing that was needed to be covered up?

It felt as though as soon as Summer needed answers she couldn't remember what she needed to know the most. She couldn't remember any information Calum may have let slip that could be of any use but it wasn't as if he could remember and be around to tell her either.

The cogs in her brain whirled as she sat on the floor of her bedroom, Duke laying his head upon her lap and flinching away from the single salty tear that had left a shiny track down her freckled cheek.

Ashton.

Ashton Fletcher Irwin.

Her lover's best friend. The man who held her close while she shook and cried over his disappearance, the man that acted as if he were hurting himself when he knew what was happening, and had known for years.

For all Summer knew, he could have been working against Calum without anyones knowledge.

All of this spun through Summer's head before she picked up the phone. She knew what she had to do, the anger and shock out weighing the heavy fear that threatened to break from its barriers and crush her all over again.

"Ashton? Yeah, I want you to come over. Now."

To say that Ashton was nervous wasn't crediting the genuine terror coursing through his veins after hearing Summer on the phone. The empty sadness made him fear for things she could have done for she didn't clarify what happened before hanging up, ignoring when he tried to call her back.