Chapter 3 - The Ball

“Do you really think I’ll like this Albert Saxe-Coburg?” She asked Alyssa. “He has such a silly name. Sounds German to me.” Alyssa ignored her and carried on styling Marie’s hair when a knock came, on the door.

“I don't suppose you’re ready Miss Angst?” Vincent's voice sounded. “I wouldn’t mind having a word with you, if you will.” Alyssa got up and left the room, sensing it would be a private word. She let Vincent in, who came in slowly. He looked at Marie, and almost gasped.

“You do scrub up well.” He said after a moment spent recovering himself. “I came in to ask you, to not bring certain mother of pearl knives downstairs. It would be the wrong thing to do.”

“How do you...” She asked a little taken aback herself.

“I believed you’ve heard that I belong to a certain guild. Well, maybe one day you should look into it. Many of the people downstairs are members, they may be delighted if you asked.” He said flashing a smile at her. His hair was still tousled and curly, but he looked smart.  Marie nodded in reply. “Shall we?” He said offering her his arm to hold.

He opened the heavy mahogany door and immediately you could hear the low drone of the guests laughter and conversations underneath the slow sound of Debussy’s ‘Claire de Lune’, carried through the crowd by violas and violins. Vincent accompanied Marie down the stairs slowly, as if he was just listening to the music.

As they reached the great hall, where the main bulk of the guests were, Marie glanced around the room slowly. Large portraits of ancestors hung on the walls, making the room look expensive and luxurious. There was a fire at one end of the room and gas lamps spread about, giving the place a warm, friendly glow. Every so often, Marie would catch a glimpse of a curly haired man smiling in her direction, but as she tried to look closer at him, he would disappear.

She clung on to Vincent as he slowly walked her around the room, introducing her to his acquaintances. She met the Duke and Duchess of Ire, Lady Anne Cosgrove, the Prime Minister of Australasia, Lady Vienna Petrovski of Prussia and even the Crown Prince of Aberdaby.

As a fast foxtrot began, Mr Magnus steered her towards the curly haired man.

“This is Mr Albert Saxe-Coburg.” Vincent said smiling at them both.

“Very pleased to meet you.” Marie said smiling at this man with the ready smile. His eyes were full of mischief, and he looked as though he had just ridden a horse, his cheeks were glowing.

“And I, Mrs Marie Angst.” He said still smiling. “And where is Mr Angst?” He asked with an air of polite amusement.

“There is no Mr Angst.  I just happen to introduce myself that way. But, I didn’t introduce myself... so how can you possibly have known...?” She asked suspiciously.

“I make it my business to know.” He answered smirking

“Mr Magnus! We didn’t get to talk properly. Come, I love the foxtrot.” Lady Summer Boynton said, charging with Vincent towards the centre of the room to dance. He glanced back at Marie, to check she was alright and then gave in and began to dance.

“How are you enjoying your stay at Santorini Manor?” Albert said, offering her his arm. She took it willingly and he escorted her out into the hallway.

“I am fond of this manor already. Its welcoming.” Marie answered. “Tell me about the guild that Vincent belongs to.” She asked, switching the subject with ease. “Do you belong to it too?”

“I do indeed. Have you ever thought about joining?” He asked, his eyes deadly serious.

“I don't know anything about it. I don't even know the guilds name.” She said studying his face closely

“We withhold the name of the Assassins’ Guild, as it gives all the secrets away. Vincent tells me that you have many of the required skills.” He replied returning her gaze. She paused, trying to think of how to reply to this, but her mind just swum. How did Vincent know anything about her so called ‘skills’? And then it came to her. Slowly, inching itself out of the back of her mind, piecing the puzzle together.

“So, everyone knows about what happened in the Riders Wilderness then.” She stated.

“Almost everyone in this room, but no more than that. We at the Assassins' Guild have spies everywhere.” He replied easily. Marie's face fell.

“I wanted so much to start a respectable life here. In Ire, I did it because I had to. I enjoyed the thrill of the kill. But coming here, it was a new start. I suppose I’ll be shirked now.”

“I’m afraid Ankh isn’t as virtuous as you think.” He said smirking. “Shall we dance?” He asked as a waltz, Marie recognized, began to play. He lead her towards the dance floor.

“Is this Voices of Spring? Johann Strauss Jnr?” She asked curious.

“Yes! You know it?” He said bowing, and taking her hand and leading across the dance floor.

“My uncle used to be forever listening to it.” She replied, as he wrapped his arms around her and turned clockwise.

“Ah yes. It is my favourite waltz tune.” He said, his smile glimmering again. They were now whizzing around the ballroom, turning and breaking their hold.

“I didn’t know you could do the Viennese Waltz.” Marie gasped, trying to catch her breath as they broke their hold once again. He twirled her back in, and began the waltzing once more.

“There is a lot you  don't know about me.” He said, his smile still on his face. Marie was growing to grow fond of the mysterious cheeky grin. They had become quite a spectacle now, and people were gathering to look at the whirling couple.

“Can you do the tango?” She asked, secretly hoping he could. She was a fan of the tango, and had always wished to learn it, but the chance never arose.

“Wouldn’t you like to know?” He asked smirking. The whirling slowed, and the dance drifted to its end. He bowed, she curtsied and Vincent walked over.

“Stunning. Just stunning. I could believe that you were professionals.” He said, commenting on their dancing. “My turn?” He asked, giving Marie his hand.

And so the night went on. She danced, being shared between the two men, sometimes stopping to talk to the other guests and then dancing again. The night flew by, and before she knew it, the guests were dispersing.

“Marie?” A voice said behind her. She turned to see Albert, looking nervous, and without his smile.

“Yes Albert?”

“Would you like me to escort you to your room?” He asked, almost shuffling his feet.

“Of course. That would be lovely.” She replied, seeing a smile playing on the edge of his lips. He took her arm, and they walked through the corridors towards her room, laughing  and chatting easily.

“And the Duke told me to go. You should have seen his face Marie. It was enough to make even the most disciplined laugh.” Albert was saying as they came to a halt outside Marie's room.

“Well. Thank you. I’ve had a wonderful night.” She said, ending the conversation. She opened the door to her room slowly. “I hope you sleep well. Sweet dreams.” She murmured closing the door behind her.

That night, she dreamt of dancing with Albert and Vincent.

...................................................................................................