Chapter 2 - Vincent Magnus

Marie woke up with the sun glinting in her eyes through the now open curtains. The sound of footsteps came from the opposite side of the door, approaching the room rapidly, then stopping and knocking on the door. The door creaked open and revealed petite young woman, wearing an apron around her waist. She was holding a fresh jug of water and a dressing gown.

“Oh, ma’am! Yer startled me. I thought you’d still be asleep.” She said, her voice quivering slightly. “I brought yer up a dressin’ gahn and a nice fresh jug o’ water for yer ter wash in.”

Marie smiled and took the silky satin cream dressing gown, and slid it over her arms.

“I have no idea what women’s fashion is like here in Ankh... You must show me....... Erm... I'm sorry I didn’t catch your name”

“Alyssa Pemberly.  Come from London y’know. All the rich ladies look so fancy, ‘specially with their flouncy dresses. The master likes that, he does.” She said walking over to the wardrobe slowly and opening it. She picked out a sapphire blue dress. “Try this on.” It was off the shoulders, and with hanging lace stitched around the neck and sleeves which made Marie look very petite. It did not cling to Marie’s frame, but filled her out, with its considerably large skirts.

Marie slipped on the dress and completed it with elegant evening slippers and a simple diamond necklace that had been a gift from her mother before she died. She looked quite wonderful.

She nodded at her radiant reflection and turned towards Alyssa to see her approval.

“That will do perfectly for tonight.” She said admiring Marie. Alyssa then turned back to the wardrobe and got out the delicate creamy silk Greek dress and a milky coloured slip for underneath. Marie turned and undressed. She threw on the Greek dress, and sat in front of the dressing room table. She and Alyssa fastened her hair into the fashionable Greek style, with the buttery ribbon styled as sleekly as the Greek headbands.

When Marie was ready Alyssa guided her down the mahogany staircase past the dining room she had been in the previous night, and towards the back of the house, weaving in and out of many grand rooms as they went. They entered a faded yellow room, which must have been the informal dining room as it had a small family sized table surrounded by only four chairs, two each side. In the centre of the table was a small white basket of fruit, and around the table two plates with knives and forks were laid out.

“Please sit down.” Alyssa said offering Marie a seat. Marie took it, and gazed out of the French windows into a small alcove before a gate into the main garden. The main garden had a shroud of trees guarding it, so that Marie couldn’t see into it, and the gate was made of tangled iron roses, which the eye could not see past. “What will yer ‘ave fer a drink miss?” Alyssa asked interrupting Marie’s daydream.

“A glass of orange juice would be most welcome to me.”  Marie said not looking up at Alyssa and gazing at the man coming through the iron gate in the garden. He was wearing a normal riding outfit, but had taken his hat off and was holding it under his arm, as if to keep it safe that way. His flaxen hair was windswept and curly, and his cheeks were flushed with exhilaration. He opened the French windows slowly, and stepped through quietly and with ease. He looked stealthy and sleek as a cat, but dangerous too.

“Good Morning. Marie Angst, how lovely to finally meet you. Welcome to Santorini Manor” Mr Vincent Magnus said smiling at her slowly. He sat down in front of her and put his hat on the table. “I am awfully sorry about last night. I was out very late last night, and you still hadn’t arrived so I had to go to bed. You’ll have to excuse my rude behaviour. But did you get a good sleep in the end?”

“It was very nice thank you.” She said politely. He touched her hand affectionately on the table.

“I am so very upset to hear of my dearest aunty dying. I always wanted to come and visit you and her, but sadly, my duties lay here waiting for me.” He frowned, as if taken back by some old memory, then smiled again and looked up at her. “I'm hosting a grand party tonight. In light of you joining us here at my manor.”