Chapter 5 - The Heist

As I stepped through the door, I noticed Natsuki waiting for me, arms folded. 'Took you long enough.'

'Come on, it was only a few minutes,' I protested, 'Anyway, come on! I wanna show you my Shumai!'

Natsuki sighed and let me lead her upstairs to me and Itsuki's shared room. I jumped onto my bed and pulled out my phone, typing Shuichi Saihara into Google.

Multiple images of him came up, most from news articles about his previous cases as a detective. I showed it to Natsuki. 'Look at him! No, look at him, and tell me he isn't hot.'

She looked me dead in the eyes. 'He isn't hot.'

I playfully pushed her over. 'Rude! No matter what you say, I'm still gonna invite him on another date.'

'Another?' Natsuki asked, 'So that's where you were all day.'

'Yep! We went to Hotel Kumasutra then I fucked him!'

Natsuki looked slightly disturbed. 'Th-That was a lie, right? Please tell me that was a lie.'

'Yeah okay, it was a lie- What actually happened was at midnight last night I met him on a roof. Just to introduce myself. Then, this morning I may or may not have tracked his location so I can eat McDonalds with him!'

'You're hopeless.' Natsuki stood up, sighing, 'Anyway, while you've been with your "beloved detective", we've been planning out a heist. There's a museum exhibition next week. While they're showing off some skeleton, we'll break in through the back and steal some stuff. Namely, that diamond tiara thing that came in a few weeks ago.'

'Okay, we'll do it, as long as I get to try it on!'

*****

Shuichi Pov

I'd got a text message from an anonymous number earlier today, saying:

My friends are gonna kill me for this, but I reallllyyyyy want to see you! I can't believe it's been a whole week since I saw you last! Anyways, come to the museum tonight for a little surprise. You won't be disappointed!

-Your beloved Phantom Thief

P.S. Why am I telling you this? Because I love you! Or maybe that was just a lie~

So, here I stand, in a museum exhibition, with armed police standing by me.

Of course, it was hidden, so to a bystander they would look like normal people.

'Shuichi, are you sure this was the phantom thief?' Mukuro, one of the police asked. I had briefly met her in a murder case earlier this year, and we had bonded over wanting to avenge the child that some fucking selfish idiot had murdered. Even after he got a life sentence, I will never forgive him.

Kotoko Utsugi was only 12 when she got brutally murdered by her own father. Before her death, she didn't have the best relationship with him...

'Ah, I...' I said, pulling myself back to reality, 'The phone number was the same one that had called me last week. I'm sure it's him.'

'It's been a while... He should have shown up by now...'

Almost as if on cue, my phone buzzed. I opened the message.

Geez, you're taking ages to find me. I'm getting bored~ If you don't hurry up, you won't catch me! Then I'll be the king, with my crown and riches!

'Oh, um, M-Mukuro, I...' I stuttered out, 'I think the phantom thief is here. The exhibition was a decoy. I- I'm going to search for him.'

'Would you like me to come with you?' Mukuro asked.

'Ah, no, it... I'll call you if I need help.'

With that, I left Mukuro, deep in thought. What was the purpose of that last sentence in the text... If he just wanted to say that he would win, he would have phrased it differently...

King... Crown...

I suddenly remembered something. A few weeks ago, an ancient diamond tiara had been found, and put on display. Could Kokichi...

My suspicions were confirmed as I ran into the room to see Kokichi sitting cross legged on the glass case that held the tiara. To my alarm it was empty.

'Hehe, Shumai! I almost thought you wouldn't get my hint!' Kokichi hopped down from the glass case and did a twirl. His hat was absent, and in place was a golden tiara with a large diamond in the centre. 'Do you like the look? I personally think I look adorable!'

'Kokichi, put the tiara back.'

'What if I said... no,' he replied, grabbing something off the floor. It looked like a bright yellow gauntlet that he put on his hand and grabbed a handle.

Kokichi raised his arm to the ceiling, next to an open skylight. He pulled a trigger on what I now see is a grappling hook, and a small metal bead on the end of a wire shot up and embedded itself in the ceiling. 'It was a pleasure seeing you, but I kinda have to go... I don't wanna get arrested after all!'

I grabbed his wrist. 'I'm not gonna let you escape again-'

Kokichi giggled and wrapped his free arm around me, before pulling another trigger on the grappling hook. We flew up towards the skylight, me instinctively grabbing onto the smaller male.

He released the wire at the perfect time, making us land on the flat roof of the museum. The wire retracted into the grappling hook.

'Oops, I accidentally brought you along with me!' Kokichi said, smiling in a way that showed me it wasn't an accident. 'Come on, you've got handcuffs. Use them!'

He held out his wrists, dropping the grappling hook to the ground (roof?). I hesitantly reach for the handcuffs at my waist and begin to place them on Kokichi's wrists. Strangely, he doesn't resist.

'Why are you fine with this? Haven't you spent ages trying not to be arrested?' I asked, 'It's almost as if you want to be caught...'

Kokichi stood on his tiptoes, bringing his face close to mine. 'Well... Maybe I want to be caught... by you...'

Our faces were so close...

Without thinking, I stepped forwards and connected our lips. After a second of surprise, he kissed back. The untightened handcuffs slipped from Kokichi's wrists and fell onto the roof. He wrapped his arms around my neck, deepening the kiss.

We broke away for air, breathing heavily. I was trapped in the moment, not caring about the fact that I was meant to be arresting Kokichi as he kissed me again.