Underneath- Chapter 6

When she had made it back to the cafeteria, Marley was nowhere to be seen. Unique gave a small sigh and headed off to her next class.

There was some kind of commotion going on in the Science hallway, so Unique had to try and inch past the crowd of students who had gathered around to view any possible violence. She would’ve kept on going without looking- Tina would have told her who it involved anyway- but a voice made her stop.

“Don’t you ever call him that!” screamed Blaine, who was glaring angrily at someone Unique couldn’t see. She squeezed  to the front of the crowd, and stopped  dead in her tracks. Azimio Adams was standing there across from Blaine, looking  smug.

The former football player looked at the crowd and his eyes widened when he saw Unique. “Wade? What are you wearing?”

There was an awkward silence in Principal Figgin’s office where Unique, Her parents, and Azimio sat in the uncomfortable chairs. Principal Figgins sighed and sat up ion his executive seat.

“Mr. and Mrs. Adams-“ he began.

“Principal Figgins,” interjected Mrs. Adams,  “Please don’t Sugar coat it. Azimio tells us Wade has been dressing in woman’s clothes for several weeks now. We’re aware of Wade’s…” she glanced at her husband for assistance.

“His problem,” he finished.

She nodded. “Yes, his problem. We’ve known for quite a while, and we’d like you to be supportive of our decision. Wade is not allowed to dress in-“she cringed slightly. “Skirts and blouses. Or any other female apparel. He needs to dress like what he is- a boy.”

Azimio nodded firmly. He leaned in and whispered to Unique “You don’t want to be like that fag Hummel, do you?”

“Kurt is a perfectly nice and pleasant individual. He’s been more of a role model to me than you, brother.” Unique said the word like a curse.

Before Azimio could retort, their parents stood. “Thank you for your cooperation, Principal Figgins,” Mr. Adams said with finality. Figgins still hadn’t gotten a chance to say anything. Mrs. Adams shouldered her purse and walked to the door with her husband. Azimio followed behind, glaring at Unique slightly. She returned the look before the door closed with a light slam. Finally, Figgins spoke up.

“Um… You should get to the bathroom to wash off that makeup, Mr. Adams. The nurse should have some spare clothes for you.”

Unique rose to her feet, her face a perfect mask of regal dignity. But on the inside, she was shattering. She refused to let tears fall yet, not when there were others around. She left the office, closing the door with a soft click. The surrounding students watched her walk to the nearest girl’s bathroom. Unique looked like a queen being led to the guillotine, confident and firm even to the end.

Once inside a stall, she broke down. And as soon as the tears began to fall, she couldn’t stop them. Mascara ran down her cheeks, unable to hold up against the flow. Unique buried her face in her hands and sobbed quietly. Minutes that felt like hours passed.

The squeak of sneakers on the tile floor signaled the arrival of someone else in the restroom, and Unique did her best to compose herself. The footsteps paused a moment, and Unique held her breath. Then, the stall door (which she’d forgotten to lock) swung open.

River.

Unique plastered a smile on her face. “Hey sugar. What’s up?” Even she could hear the slight catch in her voice, giving away her intentions.

“Unique…” he said quietly, voice soft despite his deep frown. “You’re lying to me again.”

“Damn…” she cursed softly. Another display of her pitiful lying skills.

River sighed sadly, and held her. Not a quick hug, not a sappy cuddle- a real, comforting hold.

She gasped a little at first, then closed her eyes and wrapped her arms around his neck. She began to cry again, and he held her close until the tears stopped. She pulled back to look into his warm brown eyes. They were so full of love she wanted to cry again, but tears of joy instead.

“Come on. Let’s get you cleaned up so you won’t be in trouble.”

“What?” She stared at him, horrified. Granted, it was the rule now, but it was the dumbest, most cruel law Unique had ever heard. And he was on their side?

“We need to get you changed. And wash the makeup off.” River looked confused.

“No! We can’t! They want to take who I am away, and I’m not going to let them. I’ve tried the polo shirts and jeans. I’ve played baseball, tried football, even basketball. I’ve done whatever I could to fit into their perfect family portrait. But I learned a long time ago that wasn’t going to make me happy. Dresses and singing make me happy, and they can’t handle that!”  By now, Unique was shaking with despair and rage. A small voice in the back of her mind said this wasn’t rational, that it wasn’t River’s fault. But the loud voice screaming in the front beat it to the punch. “I’m done denying who I am inside to please others!”

River looked shocked and pained at the same time, and he started to say “Unique-“

“Don’t.” she cut him off. “I don’t want to hear it. I… I…” she sighed angrily and pulled out the last thing she could say to get away. “We’re through.”

She stormed out of the bathroom and out of the school building, ignoring River’s loud pleas to come back. Unique made it all the way to the parking lot when a sleek red muscle car pulled up beside her.

“Want a lift?” said a voice. It was Jake.