No Time For Lies

Elkandruvel looked at her and hummed. “Yes... I did get the impression there was something more to you than it would first seem.” He nodded and stroked his chin. “I couldn't tell what though. Believe it or not, I've not spent much time with humans lately.”

Alene sipped her coffee – hot and bitter – and gazed out the window. “Take your word for it.” She sighed. “So, yes, that's me. Shapeshifter. I'm obviously a threat to the entire way of life in all of Mahradia – so they'd better kill me on sight, right?”

“You say that in jest, but they really would. They're serious about their imperial decrees – always have been.”

“Yes, yes, I know. It just seems a bit over the top.” Alene shrugged.

The elf grinned at her. “I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's pretty easy to steer clear of their borders. It's not like you'll accidentally cross them while out walking.”

Alene laughed. “No, you're right. I've got other things to see.” She leaned back in her seat, sipped her coffee and smiled. She really did. The world was a big place. You couldn't see all of it in a lifetime even if you tried – well, unless you were an elf of course.

Tin Jian might be a good first destination. She could go north later, and she'd heard they had a positive attitude to terries there. It'd be a nice experience to get to be part of that for a while. The pack back home hadn't worked out at all.

Alene started as Elkandruvel cleared his throat.

“I'm sorry young lady... I don't mean to pry. Or, well, I guess I do, but you don't have to answer.” The elf shifted in his seat. “Could you tell me what your aspect is? You don't show any of the signs I'd associate with a werewolf – even a young one – and you're too small to be a bear. Some kind of cat?”

She turned her face away from him and stared out the window. Here we go again. Might as well go for it. People would keep asking, and lying would only get her in trouble sooner or later.

Pressing her eyes shut she took a deep breath and turned back to the elf. “Rainbow Coyote.”

Elkandruvel froze. Sitting absolutely still he stared at her. His face grew pale and the tips of his ears began to quiver. He swallowed. He opened his mouth and closed it again. He took a deep breath, shook his head and closed his eyes. For a moment he sat absolutely still, before looking up at her again. “I'm so sorry to hear that Alene. I'm ever so sorry.”