Personality Reboot 1

=[ Author Note: I was not comfortable with the way Alene's personality was developing in the last two chapters. I'll do a reset here to try and scale her back to a somewhat less chaotic mindset. ]=

“That's a commendable ambition,” said Elkandruvel. “The world's a big place though. Do you have a plan?”

“Yep!” Alene grinned. “I'll go either north, or south, and then I'll see what happens.”

Elkandruvel stared at her for a moment and then laughed – a big deep laugh, like the tubular bells at the temple of Rimotto.

Alene couldn't help but smile. His laughter came from the heart, without scorn or malice. She relaxed back in her seat and sipped her coffee. “Is that so funny?” she said once he'd calmed down.

“Not funny – refreshing. It's been a serious summer and autumn, but this cheered me up.” He smiled – a big genuine smile that spoke of worries slipping away and of dreams taking flight.

“You must think us humans so young and naive?”

Elkandruvel's face turned somber, but the smile lingered in his eyes. “Well, yes, of course, but that's sort of unavoidable. I mean no offense.” He shot her a quick grin and cleared his throat. “The point is, there's a difference between naive and naive – and you're squarely on the right side of the line between refreshing and discouraging.”

Back in the day a compliment like that would have made her blush, but these days she no longer could. Her cheeks still twitched though, struggling to keep her face straight when all it wanted was to break out in a big goofy smile. “Thank you. That's very kind of you,” she said eventually.

“You're very welcome young lady. It's good to see the attitudes of youth are strong within you.” He frowned, tapped his index finger against his chin, and glanced up in the ceiling. “Word of advice though. I'd say Tin Jian and the south would be the best option at this time of year. The north will still be very cold, and I hear there may be some unrest up there at the moment.” Elkandruvel cleared his throat and looked out into the snow swirling by on the other side of the window. “The Republic is being difficult again.”

“Oh okay.” Alene frowned, too. “I hadn't heard about that – but I'm not so up to date on international politics.”

The elf coughed and studied his cup of coffee. “It's not been on the news. It's more of a rumor, but I think there's something to it.” He took a sip of his coffee, leaned forward with his elbows on his knees, and fixed her with his eyes. “You do as you wish of course, but if I had the option, I'd stay away from the north until spring at least. Go to Tin Jian.”

Alene nodded. “I'll consider it, definitely. I really want to see Gosmarin though, but maybe it's better in the summer anyway.”

Elkandruvel nodded. “Definitely. I've been there a few times, and it's well worth the visit, but you already know snow and mountains. You should go in spring.”

“Point taken. It's not like I don't have plenty of time anyway. I'll get there eventually.”

“Indeed. I strongly recommend going there – just not right now. Maybe you could visit Mahradia as well. I hear it's a sight to see.” He grinned at her, splayed his palms and shrugged his shoulders. “Wish I could tell you about it. Haven't been there since before the Empire, and I hear it's changed a lot since then.”

Alene dropped her jaw and stared at him. The Empire had been founded on the ashes of the Eradication, over four thousand years ago. She swallowed and closed her mouth. “I'm sorry... I didn't realize... I meant no offense.”

“Oh, don't mention it.” Elkandruvel made a dismissive little wave with his hand and grinned at her. “Youthful attitudes and all that – no offense taken. You should go though. I hear it's a sight to see – religious difficulties notwithstanding.”

“Mmm...” Alene pressed her lips together. It was her turn to stare out into the snow now. It really was coming down something frightful. Perhaps the milder climate of Tin Jian wouldn't be so bad. “I can't go there. Religious difficulties – like yourself.” She forced herself to shoot him a smile and then stared down into her coffee. “Therianthropy.”