The Widow's Song

The grizzeled old sailor's wife was seated on a barrel awaiting her husband's arrival. Other residents knew to trust her timing and they began to prepare for the ship to come in to shore. With all the adults of their little seaside town rushing about only a boy of about ten heard her start to sing.

I'll never say it was or wasnt so, but let me tell of a harrowing time.

Where the noose embraced the neck of a boy who never knew his crime.

And mothers sent sons to wars before, Before they even knew the cause.

Of a time when the children fought the wolf for the meat in his jaws.

She paused to reliquish her perch to the passing dock worker. Settling back on her haunches, she cleared her throat and began again.

I never said nay to the tales they told, but I must say the story once more,

Where the sword slayed a soldier who never knew his part in war.

And fathers buried their sons before, Before they even grew.

Of a time when the men fear of the carrion birds overhead that flew.

The boy edged closer as she ended her verse. Blinking sky gray eyes he asked,

"Why do you sing?"

The woman laughed and ruffled the boy's blond hair.

"So that we know what will and what was."

A loud shout of joy drowned his words and he was swept away from her in the crowd as every one rushed to greet the sailors. The old woman stood still and as the Captain came up to her and spoke in low tones, the words "storm" and "washed overboard" heard. A faded scrap of red pressed into her palm and the condolences of every crew member offered to her ear.

The boy struggled to keep his eyes on her, as he found himself alone the widowed woman's tune echoed in his head.

"I'll ne'er say it was or wasnt so, but let me tell of a harrowing time. Of the noose around the neck of the boy who never knew his crime..."